upd8 about my psych class
- he’s writing a book about women and how they think
- he thinks women looking for a serious relationship should follow the “six month rule” and withhold sex for six months to see if the guy will wait. if the guy DOES wait, make him wait another six months.
- his favorite psychologist is freud which really shouldn’t be surprising
- he argued with me about why freud is so great when i said i didn’t like him, even AFTER saying that yeah i understand that he made important contributions but he was a sexist pig who sexualized children
- also i pointed out that nazi doctors also made great contributions to medical fields but that shouldn’t excuse the suffering the “subjects” had to go through, nor should they be your favorite doctor
all in all i’m very angry about the psychology field and how most contributions made were at the expense of women and children, but i didn’t want to get into a full on debate in the middle of class, so i grit my teeth the whole time
- my teacher fully believes in a milder version of penis envy :/
- we’re expected to give a presentation and write a paper on events in our lives that have shaped our personality, and while he said it’s fine if we don’t talk about personal shit in our presentation, he went on to add, “you can just include it in your paper.”
- doesn’t seem to believe that anyone in the class has experienced sexual assault???
- said ‘we’ve all been teased at some point in our lives, some people are just able to shrug it off better’ as though it is ever the victims’ fault if they are deeply affected by abuse
on the plus side it looks like this class will be a super easy A, and it’s short term, so it’s like 9 weeks of listening to him talk and then i won’t ever have to see him again.
my awareness of social justice issues and my intolerance to being treated like i’m lesser than other people has made it SO HARD to deal with male teachers. i can think of TWO male teachers i have EVER had that i actually enjoyed.
i am never ever taking a psych class from a man again. ever.