these are some makeup tips that i use almost every day that no one really seems to know about or use but can really help you out in the long run, whether for cosplay or personal use.
- use an elmer’s glue stick to glue down your eyebrows, sideburns, or any other body hair you wish to hide. this sounds odd, i know, and one of the most common questions i get asked when people look in my makeup box is “why do you have a glue stick in here??” now i’ve seen a million methods for covering body hair: eyelash glue, spirit gum, eyebrow mascara, but this is my personal favorite method, it’s cheap and works just as well and even better than some of those other methods. the best part is that it comes off easily with water, no need to use special products, peel or scrub.
- use contact lens solution and eye shadow for a custom color liquid liner or use it to color your eyebrows. i’m always super cautious about what i use on my eyes but since both are made for use around your eyes it’s quite safe and works just as well as liquid liner except you can get all those crazy or bright colors that they either don’t make or are very hard to find!
- use clear lip gloss and eyeshadow for a custom tinted gloss or lip color. just scrap some eyeshadow off into a small container, turn it into a fine dust, add a few drops of lip gloss and mix it up and brush it on!
and some things that almost seem like common sense but are sometimes looked over:
- seal your makeup. this seems like common sense and i know a lot of homestuck cosplayers have had this drilled into their brain so many times it’s probably gotten annoying! but even if you’re doing something simple like wearing a little foundation and some eye shadow, seal it!! it’ll stay a lot longer and it wont rub off on your hands or clothes. some options: ben nye final seal, it’s cheap and lasts (also it’s has a cool minty smell and tingle which is kinda cool), it also has kind of a glossy finish. urban decay’s all nighter, it’s very expensive but works miracles, it also has more of a matte finish.
- use eyelid primer. really i’d recommend priming everything but the eyelids, in the end, are what need it most! you know when you’ve been wearing your makeup around for a bit and you’ve sealed it and everything still looks fantastic…..except those little creases on your eyelids where the makeup is folding into itself and coming off. USE EYELID PRIMER, THIS WONT HAPPEN!
this is what i’ve got so far, if i think of more i’ll add it. if you have any makeup tips you’d like to share feel free to reblog this with your tip!