public question: will stranger things fans ever stop complaining?
inhale i have many things to point out abt billy’s character. im not defending his shitty behavior im just trying to explain to this hellsite why hes an interesting character and why it isnt necessary to keep dismissing his storyline when people only want to discuss it.
1) lets make it clear that billy and will are not comparable. will has been through hell and back but the entire time hes been surrounded by love and comfort and family and friends. billy has none of that and is in a new environment.
2) abuse in teenage boys tends to translate into anger most of the time. the fight scene with steve was really really interesting. u can see how billy just absolutely loses control, maybe the anger from his earlier fight with his father fueling his rage. people who arent familiar with abuse need to keep their opinions to themselves with the whole “but why cant he just try to be a nice person” thing.
3) the way billy’s dad treats him is really disturbing. the physical abuse and on top of that the way that his dad made him address him as “sir” is all so, so wrong. its obviously fucking with his psyche on a whole other level, hes still a teen and hes learning all of this from his own father.
4) this doesnt really have a major impact but,, dacre made a good point that billy’s character is probably just very insecure and feels threatened by max’s new male friends.
5) billy is no different from like. fuckin loki or whoever yall stan. hes just another villain so idg why yall are treating him and dacre as the devil himself. just cause u stan/are interested in someone whos a compelling character (supervillians, moriarty, whomever the fuck) doesnt make YOU the same. pretty sure thats common knowledge
6) it would be rly rly interesting to take a closer look into how things added up to finally make billy snap. some fans are literally getting MAD at other fans for simply throwing up theories in the air. let people breathe man.
7) i agree i hate it when our community is given terrible lgbt characters or lgbt characters with a sob story but we also have to realize that stranger things isnt really the show that people should be looking for representation in. its the 80s, its about monster hunting, the good and bad of the decade, and kids being kids. if billy ends up being the first gay character in the series then whatever, man. its not like the show’s creators are trying to make him into some icon for the community, it would most likely just be a backstory explanation and not even a big part of the show. (also, as much as i love will, i think that a californian older teenager is more likely to be aware of his sexuality, rather than a kid who’s only experienced life in a small town in fuckin indiana. IN THE 80′S)
8) theres most likely gonna be a redemption arc, idk why else they would give a “human antagonist” a backstory if they werent going to follow up on it. same with the scene between max and billy in the final episode, directors dont just do that for no reason. so can yall just give it a break and enjoy the show, dont hate on dacre, dont hate on the producers and writers, and stop assuming that the duffers are trying to mould the show to the fans liking. they literally said in that netflix interview that when they were first planning st2, they did so without thinking of the fans reactions and they liked it that way lol
tldr: billy is a FICTIONAL character with a real storyline. let people talk about him if they want to, as long as everyone recognizes that hes done some pretty terrible things. lets stop complaining and just watch the show. exhale