So sorry this is quite long.
Here are my thoughts on the whole MTV Sprousehart interview. For the past few months I’ve been 99% sure that Cole and Lili have some sort of romance going on off screen. I don’t want to say they are exclusively calling themselves boyfriend and girlfriend yet, even to one another, but I do believe they are seeing each other and are intimate. At Wondercon Cole kept making a lot of sexual jokes and Lili was visibly blushing and smiling every time he did. We all know Bughead are innocent and purely romantic thus far, so why make so many cheeky jokes about them? I reckon he was probably teasing Lili about their real life relationship because Cole comes across as a flirt and a shit stirrer.
Going back to the MTV interview: the interviewer asked them about their photoshoot, so logically they spoke about it in a way that would avoid them being asked the ‘are you two dating’ question. Lili then called him a friend because obviously she wasn’t going to say my boyfriend or the guy I’m dating/seeing. The word 'friend’ is the go to word when people are trying to dodge talking about their relationship status. Everyone does it, even non celebrities do it when they’re in the early stages of dating someone and don’t want a lot of people knowing. Also, imagine the reaction they would get from everyone if they admitted they’re dating at a pop culture event? The fandom would go berserk. Plus, they have been super private and secretive about this whole relationship for months, so why would they even dare admit it now! Cole probably said what he said because he believes that the only reason people think they’re dating is because of the few photo shoots they’ve done at the flower fields. So he was just trying to emphasize that if that’s the sole reason people think we’re together then that’s crazy because I’d do photo shoots with all my costars if they asked me to. However, Lili and Cole have no idea how deep the Sprousehart family read into everything they post and do. We don’t just think they’re dating because of their photo shoots; we have so much more other proof that there is something going on with them. *Also, I think Cole was slightly happy the topic was brought up, so he could try debunk the rumours, that way the two wouldn’t have to be as stealthy as they’ve been. For e.g., Lili posted more photos from their shoot not long after that interview was released. 🤔
Lili is obviously the closest with Cole in the cast, no doubt in my mind, and vice versa. So why is Lili the only female in the show who refuses to post selfies of Cole on her IG stories or even on her IG page? Ashleigh posts photos of Cole all the time, so does Cami and even Madelaine takes selfies with him when they’re in the same place. Lili takes photos with Kj, Casey, Ross and all the others but barely ever with Cole, especially since they wrapped filming season 1 and returned back to LA. Lili even goes out of her way to post things on Twitter and IG about how much she misses Kj and Casey and can’t wait to see them. Why has she never been this openly cute with Cole? If she ever does post anything to him or about him it’s usually her making fun of him (in a typical you always tease the one you love kind of way). So what separates him from the others? Because we all know they see each other more than anyone else in the cast, so why not show the world pictures of your so called 'friendship’ if that’s all it is… 👀
Here are the reasons they’re probably being so secretive about their relationship:
1. Cole is a very private person and doesn’t like the media getting involved in his personal life. Also, after his messy breakup with his ex I doubt he wants his next relationship to be the talk of the town.
2. Lili is so new to all this stardom and the whole Hollywood life. Imagine how much more attention they’d both get if they admitted they were dating? Paparazzi would be on their tails at every turn. Also, it would consume the fandom and put more focus on the actors lives instead of the show.
3. Imagine everyone knew they were dating and then they broke up? That would cause a lot of problems for the show and for Bughead because people would treat the two as though they’re the same thing. Remember the Nian and Delena fanbase when Nian broke up? It went into meltdown! Speaking of Nina and Ian’s relationship, from The Vampire Diaries, they were secretly dating for ages and people suspected it from early on, but the two never admitted it, and Nina even said in an interview she’d never date a costar and has never dated a costar. Then a few months later they were spotted in Paris arm in arm with both their mums trailing behind them. We all believed they were dating; however, they refused to admit it for a long time. (Also, in the early stages of Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield’s relationship the two got hounded about their romance, which they, too, denied for a long time. I remember someone once asked Andrew about his girlfriend and he said something like, 'Who’s my girlfriend? You’re making an assumption about my personal life, and my personal life is not public property.’ Justin and Selena also used to say they were just 'friends’ when they were secretly dating. The list goes on.) There are plenty of costars and celebrity couples who deny dating and merely call themselves 'friends’ before the truth finally comes out. Lili and Cole would have been well prepared for the questions to come pouring in about whether or not they’re dating, so they would have agreed to just say they’re friends. I mean, isn’t it funny that both of them just happened to squeeze the word friend into their answer? It seemed a little rehearsed and thought out. But that’s just my opinion.
4. Another reason why they’re being secretive is because Lili and Cole are still both so young; they don’t know how their futures will pan out. So maybe they’re taking this relationship slow and trying to be as mature about it as possible. We all know how the media has a penchant for ruining celebrity couples with all their fake stories and cheating scandals etc. Lili and Cole would not want that poisoning their relationship.
5. The haters! This is probably one of the biggest reasons. The two are well aware that Riverdale has its fair share of haters. Why would they willingly invite that kind of negativity into their private lives and their relationship? Imagine the comments they’d receive under their posts on SM from the toxic fans (aka B*ronica & Barfchie shippers) if they went public about being together!
This is my overall opinion: If Lili and Cole were just friends then they would use their close bond to really promote Bughead and make more fans jump on the ship. They’re both clearly fond of the onscreen romance, especially Lili. So wouldn’t they be more open about their sweet chemistry by posting videos & photos together and/or tweeting each other more etc? No, instead they treat each other like a little secret. It’s like they’re trying to protect their relationship from all the hate and negativity that exists in the world (mainly the internet). If they are in fact together, this relationship must mean a lot to both of them because of how hard they try to keep it a secret.
Lastly, I’m not saying that they’re 100% dating. I don’t know them personally; I don’t live with them 24/7 to know what goes on in their day to day lives. But there is just way too much proof that makes me think they are more than friends. I’m not going to stop believing in Sprousehart just because of one stupid interview that, like a lot of other fans have said, didn’t actually include either of them saying the words 'No, we’re not dating.’
In time we will find out the truth. Hopefully the two get spotted hand in hand or kissing behind a tree or something, and then we can finally have our confirmation. 🙏😉💜