Hi! I only recently managed to watch the finale (darn real life commitments getting in the way) but can I ask what about it was so meta? I think dabb said that this finale was the most meta, but I guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake because I don't think I got it?
If you check out my tag #spn 12x23 meta you should find it all there.
13x01 is set up to be 1x01 but in REVERSE. They are entering endgame by subverting the pilot and I am SO HERE for this!
As “All along the Watchtower” suggests (the song that ends back at the beginning), we have:
- Mary and John reversal. John is dead, Mary is missing, they want to find Mary: FINDING MISSION.
- Cas = Jess. Dean is Sam and Sam is Dean, they’re reversed. Hence this scene:
- Dean and Sam hunting alone, but now Dean is put in Sam’s place and Sam in Dean’s: reversal of roles in their brotherly relationship, also now Dean is no longer Sam’s parent this will also make a difference in how they interact.
- Revenge mission, just rather than on Azazel, on Lucifer
13x01 is set up to be 1x01 but in REVERSE.
Which also is another bow to the string of setting it up for the positive ending rather than the tragic ending that it was originally supposed to have and was metaphorically addressed in 12x22 with the grenade launcher blowing apart the “blaze of glory” ending.
- That they will find Mary and she hopefully won’t have to sacrifice herself for her son, or if she does it will be Sam (as John did for Dean) and she will go to Heaven.
- That Dean will get Cas back as it is so clearly framed as romantic now I’m not going to apologise for ‘shipping’ this (is it even shipping when it’s canon?), it is canonically romantic and stuff like this just makes it more obvious. So anyway, Dean will get Cas back as a reversal of Sam and Jess’ tragic story.
- That they will find a way to defeat Lucifer that also closes the gates of Hell because it was by defeating Azazel that they opened them in the first place. Or perhaps they just end up doing it around the same time but heck, if Crowley’s death didn’t suggest that the two are supposed to be linked.
I’ve talked a lot and so have all the other meta writers about all the parallels and the circular narrative of the season, how Dabb loves to subvert the past and use mirrors and parallels etc.
Here we are talking about the fundamental underlying themes of the show, the PREMISE being reversed and I am PSYCHED as this is going to be amazing and absolutely makes sense going into endgame!
I think we should all watch season 1 before season 13 airs.
If Dean says “we’ve got work to do” I’ll scream ;)