Hi. I know it's been a while but it's driving me crazy; why were there no assassins on Molly or Mycroft? I can't find anything of Moffat or Gatiss talking about it. Sure, with Molly you could argue Jim didn't think she mattered, but he would shoot Angelo just to be thorough. Could you direct me to an interview where they address it or just tell me what you know? Also, I can't find many Tumblr blogs dedicated to Sherlock that are active. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
That’s okay Nonny, I’ve been busy too ;)
I haven’t seen any interview explaining why neither Molly nor Mycroft weren’t targeted either tbh :/
As you said, it may be that Molly just wasn’t significant enough in Moriarty’ eyes, and that Mycroft was too well protected (he’s the British government, he must have bodyguards). I find it hard to believe though, because Jim, alleged head of Moriarty’s organisation, literally dated Molly to get close to Sherlock, and THOB showed us that Mycroft was powerless in front of Jim.
My pet theory is that both Mycroft and Molly are high ranking members of the Moriarty organisation and that they weren’t targeted because they were behind Sherlock’s downfall, and so couldn’t be counted among Sherlock’s friends. The fact that they were spared is not the only thing that leads me to think this:
- Mycroft has been equated to Moriarty numerous times on the show
- Sherlock called him a criminal mastermind
- Molly Hooper has the same initials as Mycroft, “wasn’t initially supposed to be in more than 1 episode” but is actually in more episodes than Jim himself, and in his MP Sherlock seems to think she hates him – and when the most observant man in the world thinks you hate him, you probably do
- the media are consistently portrayed as villains
- Moriarty’s organisation makes money by manipulating people into committing sensational crimes and then selling their stories to the press
- as seen in ASIP, when Hope revealed that he was being paid to kill
- and in TGG, when Sherlock was manipulated into revealing 4 people’s crimes
Or it was all a bluff and none of them (John, Lestrade, Mrs Hudson) were in any real danger (like when Eurus lied that she’d trapped Molly’s flat with explosives) – who knows? TPTB still have to address what happened in TRF and haven’t left us with a lot of clues :/
As for active Sherlock blogs: If you don’t follow them already, I suggest you go follow @love-in-mind-palace, @the-7-percent-solution, @kateis-cakeis, @gosherlocked, @ebaeschnbliah, @221bloodnun, @shag-me-senseless-watson, @sarahthecoat and lots of others (sorry to anyone I forgot ^^’). They’re not all solely dedicated to Sherlock but they regularly post about it :) The fandom is smaller than it used to be, tho