hi emma! as a student I'm very consistent with completing homework, class work, and studying, yet I receive poor test grades. is there any advice or ways to receive higher test grades or advice to those who don't take tests as well as others?
Hey! Sometimes knowing the content and knowing how to answer the questions are two different things, which can make it pretty sucky! My recommendations would be:
- look back at your own exams/assessments - see where you lost marks and think of what you could do to improve your answers. Generally looking back at an old test and reading what you wrote will make you go “omg what the hell was I writing” and you’ll get why you missed out on the marks. It is usually an easy way to understand where you’re possibly going wrong.
- talk with your teacher - asking for help can be hard but worth doing if you’re struggling! Most teachers will be willing to help you if you tell them where you’re struggling and show that little bit of initiative.
- look at sample answers - this is such a great option!! Seeing how full mark/high mark answers are written can really help you see how to layout your own answers. Try googling for your examination system and sample answers.
- ask your friends for help - having someone else show you have they’re working and getting them to explain it to you might help you to get an idea where you’re going wrong! You could also try looking into a tutor.
- do practice tests - if you can get good at practice exams - time management, writing quickly, thinking on the spot - then you’ll be able to perform better in the real thing!
Hope this helps xx