can you make a checklist on how to get into the gorillaz?? It seems like there is a lot out there and its hard to follow when i'm getting into it late.. thank you!!
Sure!!! I personally got into them by watching their G-bitez and music videos and it all kinda spiraled from there.
The band itself was made by Damon Albarn (Lead singer of Blur, does vocals and writes lyrics for Gorillaz) and Jamie Hewlett (Co-creator of the comic book “Tank Girl”, draws and animates for Gorillaz) after they were both watching MTV and they were like “hey music today sucks you know what’d be cool?? if we made an animated band” “cool we could call it ‘gorilla’ because we were both born on the year of the monkey!!!” sadly animal planet had already copyrighted “gorilla” so they just added a z to the end of it to make it cooler.
Something to know about Gorillaz is that they have “phases”. Phase 1 was in 2001, when they released their albums “Gorillaz”, “G-Sides” and “Laika come home”. Phase 1′s art style was cartoonish and used very thick lineart. Phase 2 was in 2005, when they released “Demon Days” and “D-sides”. Phase 2′s art style was a bit dark and looked more realistic. Phase 3 was in 2010, when they released the albums “Plastic Beach” and “The Fall” in 2011. Phase 3′s art style was almost the same as phase 2′s. Then we have Phase 4 in 2017, their new album “Humanz” is coming out April 28th. It’s art style is the one that stands out the most to me, you can find most of the art on Jamie Hewlett’s Instragram (Hewll)
Alright, a big part of me getting into the fandom was my love fore the characters. I’m assuming you’re not a fan yet, so let me introduce them to you (i’m going to use powerpoints to explain each member if u don’t mind):
This lovely lad here is Murdoc Faust Niccals.
- He’s the band’s leader/bassist, and he makes sure EVERYONE knows that’s it’s his band and only his. - He went through multiple other bands before he formed Gorillaz. - He was born on June 6th, 1966 in Stoke-on-Trent, England. As an infant he was abandoned on his father’s doorstep. - Had a very rough childhood, his father, Sebastian Niccals, would force him to preform on stage for booze money and it was absolutely humiliating for him. - His nose has been broken a of total 8 times. The first time was from a bully at his school, the 2nd time was from his older (and only) brother, Hannibal, because Murdoc had touched his records and the other 6 times were from Russel when he got caught “doing it” with 2D’s now ex-girlfriend in the bathroom stalls of Kong Studios
- His middle name was originally “Alphonse” but he changed it to “Faust” after making a deal with the Devil in phase 1 to make Gorillaz the “biggest band in the world”. That’s also how he got his bass, “El Diablo”.
- did i mention he was a satanist bc he is - He hangs around in his underwear a lot (especially in phase 2) - He likes to either get naked or start pelvic thrusting in like every video, so be careful, young anon. - He’s very crude but sometimes he can be very nice and adorable in some interviews ??? It’s so weird - He likes making weird noises, like, a lot. - Apparently can speak French and Spanish - His reason for turning green all of the sudden in phase 2 is either because of alcohol poisoning or due to him tanning himself green. Jamie himself said that it’s because he’s an immortalist and his skin is now rotting but I’m not sure how true it is. - He had a pet raven in phase 2!!! His name was Cortez and no one really knows what happened to him but Murdoc seemed to love that bird. - He also had a cape in phase 2 that he loved and wore like all the time but he lost it. Poor baby. - He was based off of a young 1960′s era KeithRichards. - He has a tongue longer than Gene Simmons’ and I’m not even kidding. His tongue is like a foot long - His genuine laugh can cure cancer - He had his own MTV cribs episode - Here’s a playlist of every interview he’s been in if you’d like to know a bit more about how he acts. - All of this sounds horrible but like half of the fandom sees him as charming and funny and the other half sees him as repulsive and downright mean so i guess listen to some of his interviews and make your decision (i’m part of the half that loves him)
This is 2D!!
- He’s the band’s singer, sometimes he plays the piano and melodica too. - He’s anxious and a bit timid around people. He’s not that intelligent, but he’s an absolute sweetheart to pretty much everyone. He’s … a huge dork. - He was born on May 23rd, 1978.
He was born in Hertfordshire, England and was raised in Crawley, England. When he was 10 he fell out of a tree and landed on his head, his hair fell out and grew back blue. He’s had horrible headaches since then, but his mother was a nurse and gave pills to help him out. - His real name is Stuart Pot - He loves horror films!!! Especially zombie movies. - Apparently he smells like butterscotch - He’s VERY tall. he’s like 6′1 and his legs make up most of his body. He towers over the rest of the band. - His voice actor is Nelson De Freitas, but Damon Albarn provides his singing voice - The lack of his two front teeth gives him an adorable accent - He has a crippling fear of whales - His eyes are black due to an 8-ball fracture that Murdoc gave him before the band was made when he crashed his car into the music store 2D worked at. - His eyes turn white when he’s stressed or scared. - His nickname “2D” stands for “Two Dents”. He’s called that because Murdoc’s car crash also gave him two dents in his head. - Murdoc is seen physically abusing 2D throughout phase 1-3, but there’s a very likely chance that he’s going to stop and make amends in phase 4!!! - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
- Everybody loves him. I love him. I don’t think it’s possible not to love him.
This is Russel Hobbs!!
- He’s the band’s drummer. He makes remixes too!!! - The living embodiment of “looks like he could kill you but is actually a cinnamon roll” - Quite possibly the most underrated character in the world - He was born in Brooklyn, New York on June 3rd, 1975. He got possessed by a demon as a kid and fell into a coma for four years. After he woke up the demon got expelled tho - When he was a teen, him and his friends were involved in a drive-by shooting. Russel was the only survivor and all of his friends possessed him, but the only one we really get to see is his closest friend, Del, he raps in Clint Eastwood and Rock the House, but we haven’t seen him since phase 1. - Russel misses Del very dearly, poor lad. - After the whole shooting incident he was sent to the UK to live with his uncle. - HE SAVED 2D FROM BEING EATEN BY A WHALE. HE’S SO UNDERAPPRECIATED - He’s an actual giant in phase 3 because he ate some radioactive algae - He loves fezzes!!! - His hobby, besides music, is taxidermy. - He’s the dad friend - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
Last but not least, this is Noodle
- She plays guitar for the band. She also sings and writes songs sometimes - Noodle is very energetic and nice but she can also kick your ass - She was born in Osaka, Japan on October 31st 1990
- She joined the band when she was around 10 but she’s like 26 now. I forgot to mention that the band ages with real time - As a kid she was a part of a classified child super solider project under the management of a japanese scientist named Mr. Kyuzo. this is where she learned how to be badass. She knew professional karate at like 10 how cool is that - All of the children in that project were deemed too unstable and dangerous, so they canceled the experiment and Mr. Kyuzo was ordered to kill all of the children (fuckin dark i know). After killing them all, Mr. Kyuzo was reluctant to kill Noodle, so instead he put her in a state of amnesia and smuggled her to the UK by shipping her to Kong Studios in a FedEx crate. - She didn’t remember anything!!! The only english thing she was able to say to say was “noodle” and that’s where she got her name. - She learned how to speak english and remembered her past in phase 2. - Murdoc, 2D and Russel raised her (mostly russel tho). Noodle considers Murdoc and 2D her brothers and Russel considers her his daughter how CUTE IS THAT - She loves Pokemon - She had a flying windmill island in phase 2 it was incredible - She had a cute radio helmet in phase 1 - She also has a robot version of herself called “Cyborg Noodle” in phase 3. It’s a long story but Cyborg might be coming back for phase 4. - The interviews that she’s in can be found here!!
The backstory is too long for me to write down, but you can find it over here! I hope i explained everything clearly- if not, or if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message!! I hope this helps you c:
So one of the things I love about watching Star Wars: A New Hope after having watched all the other Star Wars movies is how… well… how normal Luke’s upbringing appears to have been.
It’s not just that he was loved. It’s clear that Breha and Bail Organa loved Leia immensely. But she was a princess functionally from birth, and then became a senator at–what? eighteen, nineteen, twenty? Something like that. She was much loved and much trusted, obviously, but her upbringing must have been… “unusual” would be putting it mildly. As a teenager she was learning statecraft and politics–and deception.
And their mother must have been the same way, queen from such a young age, raised and trained to rule. And their father–loved, yes, deeply, and I have no doubt that his mother did her best to protect Anakin from the worst parts of slavery–but he was still a slave, as was she, and there was only so much they could do.
But Luke! Luke got the gift of a perfectly normal childhood. All the jokes about Luke, the whining about wanting to go to TOSCHE station to pick up some POWER CONVERTERS–the snippy teenagery conversation he has with his uncle about waiting “a whole nother year????”–the shooting womp rats in his T-16 back home–the fact that left to his own devices, at the same age that Leia is deciding THE FATE OF HER PLANET, he’s still playing with model spaceships…..
…they’re all signs that he had a normal childhood. That he’s a normal eighteen, nineteen, twenty, whatever year old.
I mean, he grew up in a situation where it was completely safe for him to whine to his parent figures. He knew that Lars and Beru wouldn’t make him pay for his “but I wanted to go to TOSCHE STATION” or for his “I want to go to the academy THIS year” or whatever. Unlike basically every other Skywalker ever he grew up without a ton of extra pressure, without a “oh by the way you’re going to be king of [planet]” stuff, without “also you’re the Destined Future of the Jedi.” They didn’t raise a legacy, or a scion–they just raised a child. (In point of fact, that’s why Yoda almost rejects him: he’s too old, and he was raised too normal.)
And since Owen and Beru obviously knew perfectly well who and what he was, that’s actually an astonishing accomplishment. They were delivered an infant who they knew had the approximate destructive power of a nuclear device, and they still raised him as… a kid, a child, a boy who they loved with the same mixture of exasperation and devotion as any parent-figures.
He grew up as a kid, with a gruff but loving uncle and a sweet-tempered aunt, he grew up skeet-shooting womp rats and hanging out with his friends in Anchorhead when he had an excuse to go into town–and it’s clear how safe he feels with them because he does whine and moan and have fits without any apparent worry that he’s going to pay for it later. He whines and moans in the way I did at that age: in perfect confidence that while my parents might temporarily snap at me, they would never hurt me, and they would always love me. And that all they really wanted for me was to grow up safe and happy.
tl;dr: Luke Skywalker: the last of the Jedi(?) but also maybe the first of the Jedi to grow up in a normally functional childhood.
(I also really, really want to see the story in which he grieves his aunt and uncle for more than ten seconds. Perhaps I will write it.)
You know, after I kill everybody and fuck their shit up, I’m a get a house here. Yeah, I’m a get a house here, maybe a wife, a little dog, raise my kids here. And then I can tell them the story about how Daddy liberated the whole country by shooting them in the face and breaking all their teeth. Kids love those stories.
Bale. DiCaprio. McConaughey. And now, Fionn Whitehead.
The 19-year-old Brit (whose Irish first name is pronounced “Finn”) joins elite ranks as the lead actor in a Christopher Nolan joint, headlining the acclaimed filmmaker’s upcoming ensemble war, Dunkirk.
At this point Whitehead doesn’t have clearance to say anything about his character, Tommy. But if you happened to catch the intense seven-minute tease Warner Bros. unspooled on Imax screens in front of Rogue One, you’ll recognize him as one of the two poor chaps charged with hauling a stretcher over a decimated dock as enemy warplanes whiz by overhead. (While plot details on the film are also scant, we have WWII history to tell us the film is about the 1940 rescue of Allied soldiers cornered by the German army on a French beach.)
“It’s a suspense thriller,” Whitehead told Yahoo Movies. “It takes you there and you see this world through my character’s eyes and ears. And it kind of explores what it would’ve been like to be there at that time, on sea, land, and air. It’s all about survival, and the human urge to survive.” Whitehead was in Los Angeles this week where we got to know the fresh-faced star of Nolan’s fiercely intense-looking battle film. Here’s what we learned:
Dunkirk will mark Whitehead’s movie debut. The actor, who grew up in an artistic household (his dad is jazz musician Tim Whitehead) on the southwest edge of London in Richmond, performed on stage at the National Youth Theatre and Orange Tree Theatre, and was in the process of applying to drama school when he booked the lead role in Him, a three-part U.K. miniseries about a teen with supernatural powers. The casting director for Him referred Whitehead to agent Sophie Holden, who put him in contention for Dunkirk.
His hair almost got in the way of his dream role. Whitehead auditioned for Dunkirk over an extensive three-month period, with Nolan present at every tryout after the first. “For Him, they made me grow my hair out, and then they’d straighten it out every day because I’ve got quite curly hair when it grows out,” Whitehead explained. “And I remember turning up to do one of these auditions and I had this straight long hair, it just looked so ridiculous. And they’re like, ‘Um, Chris has asked if you could push your hair out of your face this audition.’ So they gave me a tub of wax and I’m slicking my hair out of my face in this ridiculous fashion.”
He was put through the ringer before production even started. “I was quite scrawny when I started out, so they saw that and realized that they might injure me in the whole process of shooting,” Whitehead laughed. So the upstart was dispatched to Dunkirk (where the majority of filming would be completed on location) two weeks early to work with the stunt team. Along with costars Harry Styles and Aneurin Barnard, Whitehead was put through a boot camp of sorts. “I did a lot of circuit training, did a little bit of boxing, did some weapons training. Then I went to the beaches and I was swimming in full war gear, which once it got waterlogged was about 60, 80 pounds. Running up the beach with stretchers with weighted dummies on them. It was quite a lot.”
Speaking of Mr. Styles… The One Direction singer also makes his film debut in Dunkirk, and Whitehead had nothing but props for the pop star-turned-actor. “He’s a lovely guy. Really hard working. There was no preferential treatment, and he didn’t ask for any. He was just a great asset to the team, one of the crew, no differentiation.”
The grueling shoot put things in perspective for the young actors. “Physically it was quite demanding,” Whitehead said of the five-month production. “So the toughest part was just keeping the energy up. Every night, as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out… But that made it easier to step into the shoes of these people, knowing what they had to deal with and how they kept going.” Despite somber subject material, the cast tried to keep things light by riding bikes around set and playing the occasional game of rugby. They also learned quickly, though, not to pull any woe-is-me moves. “Any time any of us complained, somebody would say, ‘Well, at least you’re not actually there.’ And then everyone would feel so guilty and be like, ‘Oh yeah, sorry. I’m just going to crawl into a hole.'”
Whitehead abstained from fanning out over Nolan. Make no mistake, the actor was over the moon to work with the director of Memento, the Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, and Interstellar. “He’s so present as a director,” Whitehead said. “He’s behind every shot and he creates this family-like vibe on set which really puts you at ease. It’s a very collaborative environment. I was quite apprehensive going in but that was gone straightaway because you’re in this safe space where you feel comfortable to try different things, and encouraged.” But he made it a point not to geek out over the filmmaker. “Nah, I kept it in,” he said. “I tried to play it cool.”
Another partially complete one because this fic has decided it wants to be really long. Here’s like 4k though.
Kent looked up from his cocktail
to see Jack looking at him with a frown on his face, various Falconers arrayed
behind him and looking on curiously. Oh
shit. He had been successfully avoiding Jack for months, and now he goes
and picks the same goddamn bar after the game. Is this the universe telling him
to stop drinking? Fuck you, universe.
“Jack,” he said evenly. There is
an absolutely zero percent chance that Jack will believe him that this is just
a coincidence, especially because none of his teammates are here. Sue him for
wanting to have a quiet night. Next time he’d just go with them to the shitty
“Why are you here?” Jack said
forbiddingly. “I thought I made myself clear—“
“Yeah, yeah, I got it, Zimms, you
don’t want to see me.” He pushed back from the bar, mouth twisting bitterly,
and abandoned his drink. “I’m not stalking you, promise.” He made a
split-second, impulsive decision. “I’m here to see him.” He reached out and
pulls in the nearest Falconer, not even looking at his face.
“You’re here to see…Tater?” Jack
Supergirl episode 2x13 was a very weird episode, to say the least. What’s even weirder is that
Mxyzptlk (I totally copied and pasted his name) wasn’t the strangest thing that happened during the ep. I mean, skipping the whole shooting at Supergirl scene, where you can clearly see the people behind her that didn’t give a shit about the gunshots - which, I mean, I know America has a huge gun problem, but I don’t think that’s quite how it works -, or the flying car that went on fire immediately after hitting the ground (my friend has been in a car accident where the car ended up upside down, and she would be dead if cars were so easy to explode)… Leaving all of these things behind… what the fuck was that? Don’t get me wrong, good for Winn who now has a girlfriend (#winnforthewin!)(<– yeah, don’t comment that), although she seems fled from Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and her whole entrance and then their relationship development was freaking rushed (they might as well proposed to each other in perfect Mr. Mxyzptlk style at that point), and awesome for Sanvers, even though they hadn’t so much screentime this time either (which they kinda promised to us, but I guess Mon’Ew closeups were somehow more important…), but the whole episode felt like a patchwork thing to me.
I have to say that Kara’s happiness is my happiness (and damn, how incredibly gorgeous she was in this episode), so I’ve sadly accepted that is extremely unlikely that she’s gonna end up with Lena (what a waste of chemistry, though… ugh, it pains me), but that said, Flann’El is really such a poor choice. In this episode in particular he behaved like a total douche, all testosterone a no synapses, just straight up trying to punch the guy, practically demanding his execution and then challenging him to a duel for what? Kara’s hand? In which century does he think they are?? I didn’t like that he was completely ignoring the fact that Kara is a strong woman - like… super strong -, perfectly capable of handling a random idiot - although provided with insane powers -, and he kept whining about this guy, while doing and saying such stupid things, only because he felt threatened. This is such typical of straight man, the pulling up a chaos because their pride is hurt or threatened and they have to show to the girl that they’re strong and bla bla bla. This is so wrong in any scenario, but in this one? In this one it’s nuts. That’s Supergirl, you idiot! She stops planes and missiles! She’s bulletproof! She flies, for Rao’s sake, she ain’t a damsel in distress and she told you! You can fill me with all the reasons why he behaved like that, like that he cares so much to Kara that he lost it, but that’s still incredibly immature and he ain’t a teenager: he’s supposed to be an adult. I just hate to see women having to keep the men on the right path ‘cause they can’t keep their shit together by themselves and they have to be schooled all the time.
Anyway, zero Lena’s mentions in this Valentine’s episode. We had Luthors for the real Valentine’s Day, so I’ll pretend that’s enough…