Hi! I wanted to know why you (and others) are upset about Joss Whedon directing Batgirl? I never heard he was sketchy before.
Omg Joss. My worst ex. My most tumultuous relationship with the greatest betrayals.
Here’s the thing about Joss. I was a PEAK Whedon fan, I was a devotee. I was really sure he was a dream come true. Here’s a dude making mainstream geek content who was raised by a serious feminist, who supports woman-devoted charities like Equality Now, who writes directly to my aesthetic by creating teeny little super powered female characters who can kick your ass up your throat. I loved Buffy, I loved Angel, I love Firefly, and Dollhouse, and even Avengers 1 for a long time.
So believe me when I say he deserves the anger that is directed at him.
1. Buffy is an interesting, deeply flawed peice of media with definite feminist aims, but it is also deeply racist, dabbles in various kinds of sexism, and riddled with problems.
2. I’d actually be alright with that existing in the mid 90s because I know what the atmosphere was in television and Buffy was legitimately hard to get made, EXCEPT- nothing about the way that Joss does things has changed since then.
3. In some ways his feminism is WORSE? Like he’s always had hangups about pregnancy and birth that were confusing and offputting, but he’s never had a female character call herself a monster because of her own infertility- until he did exactly that in Age of Ultron.
4. He literally gave a speech to a room full of feminists suggesting that we junk the word “feminism” because he was not a fan, completely ignoring that the word feminism A- doesn’t belong to him, as a man, B- acknowledges decades of history of brave and amazing women who have come before us to whom we owe so much.
5. His (rejected) Wonder Woman script basically features Steve Trevor as the main character who spends the whole movie teaching Diana about pain and suffering because apparently indoctrination into the patriarchy is the only way to fix WW. It’s also- bonus! Super homophobic!
6. EVEN HIS SHAKESPEARE ADAPTATION WAS SEXIST.
7. When faced with criticism for Age of Ultron, he had a mantrum on Twitter, blamed the studio for every problem, and then ragequit Twitter, leaving a bunch of his asshole male followers to attack the feminists he claims to support for chasing him off.
8. Firefly, his apparently “pure” vision that was not interfered with at all before it was cancelled, was a thin allegory of the reconstruction era FROM the perspective of a confederate captain basically galvanizing and idealizing the “Southern independence” lie that Americans push to pretend that the Civil War was not about slavery.
9. Literally thinks this shot is a good idea: