“haha aces+aros r so funny acting like anyone here’s saying they’re not valid lolol,” say exclusionists constantly and I’m like.
Your crowd who hates aces and aros… says we’re not valid all the damn time, though? Like is this dishonesty or willful ignorance on an amazing level.
Like not actually phrasing it as “not valid” means nothing when you instead:
- mock certain ace-spec identities or say they don’t/shouldn’t exist
- say asexuality and aromanticism can only ever be modifiers and are no one’s orientation
- say aces are not actually ace if they don’t have the attitude towards sex you think aces should have
- say misogynic men who are attracted to women are clearly aro. And that aros/aro men are bad, just use people, and don’t need positivity (while making assumptions about their sex lives)
- go, “yeah being ace is okay but if you actually tell people that you are you’re a gross oversharer, no wonder people think you’re weird/hate you lol”
- paint aces and aros as horrible people and while you’re at it erase any oppressed groups from our communities you can. “Yeah aces and aros are valid!! If we’re talking ace+aro PoC though they just practically don’t exist lol”
- call us a “sexuality fandom”
- tell us not to headcanon characters belonging to the same oppressed groups as us as ace/aro because you think that’s inherently desexualizing
- make it very clear you think we don’t deserve positivity
- compares us to horrible characters and people at every turn
I could go on and on but much of it can be summed up under:
- don’t treat aces and aros with basic respect and decency, and like actual people
I’ve said it before, but the anti-ace/aro crowd is full of shit