- FaceApp, a new app that uses artificial intelligence to change your expression, age and gender, has a whitewashing problem.
- A feature called “Hot,” meant to make you “become more attractive,” per its App Store description, took people of color and lightened their faces.
- The feature was eventually renamed, then deleted — but not before it received major backlash on Twitter.
- Creator and CEO of FaceApp Yaroslav Goncharov blamed the whitewashing problem on his algorithm.
- “We are deeply sorry for this unquestionably serious issue,” Goncharov said, the Guardian reported. “It is an unfortunate side effect of the underlying neural network caused by the training set bias, not intended behavior.” Read more (4/25/17)