Attack on parliament in London: what we know so far
With events unfolding rapidly at Westminster in and around the Houses of Parliament, here is what we know so far
- A police officer has been stabbed and the alleged assailant shot by armed police following an incident inside the security cordon of the Houses of Parliament.
- Photographs emerged of a number of casualties on Westminster Bridge, next to the parliament buildings, who had apparently been struck by a car.
- Footage showed a car that had crashed into the perimeter railings of the parliamentary complex.
- Other images, taken from inside the Palace of Westminster building, showed paramedics treating someone inside the Old Palace Yard, within the security cordon.
- Scotland Yard said the attack in Westminster was being treated “as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise”.
- The House of Commons has been put in lockdown, with many MPs confined to the Commons chamber after parliamentary business was suspended.
From Met Police - Avoid Parliament Sq, Whitehall, Westminster & Lambeth Bridge, Victoria St up to junction with Broadway & Victoria Embankment/tube
It has just been reported there is one confirmed fatality and several seriously injured from the incident on Westminster Bridge. My thoughts are with all those affected.
Everyone in London, please take care and stay safe.