I’m quickly getting tired of the “You can like both La La Land AND Moonlight” discourse. If that’s your only contribution, please don’t offer it.
La La Land was continually built up tonight as a “risk” and “jumping off a cliff” and other such nonsense, when it’s a friggin old school musical about white people falling in love. It relied on nostalgia to sell itself, and anything that relies on people’s fondness for things they already love is inherently NOT a risk.
Moonlight is a drama about gay black masculinity, a topic so little covered in film that there was virtually no blueprint for it. THAT is a risk. That’s the kind of movie people usually aren’t eager to reward. That’s why Moonlight is such a brilliant piece of art.
Sure, you can like both La La Land and Moonlight, but pretending they’re on an equal playing field when it comes to awards and recognition is ludicrous.
For those who are interested, I made a spotify playlist featuring all the songs playing in the amazing Netflix Original Series “Dear White People”, with some personal additions. Feel free to follow this and myself if so is your desire! My username : maria.sptfy
anyway the whole “the tonys are so diverse” thing is now cancelled!! you can all go back to ur homes @ all the communities who just saw two musicals about straight white people win in almost every category over actors and actresses, directors and designers of colour, not to mention the whole “hello, dolly!” beating out two incredible revivals full of lgbt and poc characters
These people are making money mocking black American culture and creating the next generation of racists… There is too much history of white folks making $ from black ideas/culture while still punishing black people for that very same culture. But black culture is not American culture. Black people aren’t included in traditional American narratives, but when someone wants to make money, “We’re all Americans.”…
• Assuming all Latinxs are from the same/said country
• Assuming all Latinxs know Spanish
• Assuming all Latinxs should know Spanish
• Thinking issues Latinxs face are secondary to issues other marginalized groups face.
• Telling us to go back “where we came from”
• Thinking a Latinx is only respectable if they have a “high profile career” such as being a doctor, lawyer, etc
• Thinking all Latinxs look the same- we come in many different colors from all around the world
• Telling us we have to assimilate
• Trying to speak Spanish to us, thinking we all know it
• Thinking we all listen to Spanish speaking artists
• Blending in our cultures together. Latinxs come from many different cultures and all of them are unique and respectable
• Asking us to cook for you / assuming all we eat is Chipotle and Taco Bell shit
• Saying we’re “the best in bed” or “the best cooks” - that is FETISHIZATION. We will not appreciate or tolerate it.
• Calling us “spicy”, “caliente”, “fuego”, “mami” or whatever dumbass word you can think of. That is also fetishization.
• Making jokes about Trump’s dumb fucking wall
• Thinking Black Latinxs are less valid than non Black Latinxs. That’s also anti black racism which is also disgusting.
• Telling us we are not “Latinx enough” because of our skin color / ability to speak Spanish
• Thinking we all dance salsa, bachata, merengue… like seriously?
• Thinking all Latinxs know each other. No, I don’t know “Maria” from your job.
• Thinking only white people can be prejudiced against us
• Eating our food, listening to our music, using our fashion but blatantly disrespecting Latinxs. This one is pretty obvious and very common.
• Prioritizing documented Latinxs over undocumented Latinxs
• Thinking we all are teen parents. That’s ignorant and guess what? We’re not. Even if a Latinx is/was a teen parent, they’re still deserving of the utmost respect.
• Thinking every Latinx is “illegal”
• Thinking Latinxs owe you shit
• Calling us stereotypical names such as “Maria”, “Juan”, “Rosa”, “Diego”, “Jorge”, “Juanita”, “Alejandro”.. etc.. we have any name and our names, whether Spanish or not, are not for you to joke about. Shut the fuck up and go along with Richard Spencer and be a trash bag far away from us.
• Thinking we need to have a last name that is Spanish
• Derailing us when we try to talk about the issues we face. BIG ONE. Shut the hell up and listen to us for fucking once.
• Thinking we’re all criminals.. honest to god…
• Disrespecting Cinco De Mayo, Dia De Los Muertos, or any other Latinx holiday. If it’s not from your culture, either respect it or shut the fuck up.
• Disrespecting our culture.. duh!
• Calling us “Spanish”.. guess what, you dumb fuck? Spanish people are FROM SPAIN. Spanish people are also not Latinx. It’s not that hard. That’s like saying all white people are German or all Asian people are Chinese. That’s so fucking stupid. You are an idiot if you do this.
• “You don’t look Spanish / Latinx”
• Again, telling us the issues we face are secondary / invalid
• Using Latinx slurs.. if this wasn’t obvious..
• Calling us all “chola” or whatever.. you’re also very ignorant if you do this
• Telling us to calm down if we get angry.. we have a right to be angry just like everyone else on this damn planet
• Assuming we listen to a Spanish speaking music artist… like… ???
• Refusing to recognize the racism Latinxs face
• Thinking we should be glad to be fetishized. No fucking way, I will not be glad someone sees me as less than human and equates me basically to a sex toy.
• Thinking we haven’t face any problems.. we do. We do. Oh hell we do. Just because they’re not addressed in the media does not mean we don’t.
• Making jokes about calling immigration on us. It’s funny how I’ve seen Non Latinx POC do this more than white people.
• Thinking all Latinxs come from Spanish speaking countries… no…
• Thinking we’re all maids, janitors, fast food workers, nannies, etc… first of all, those are honorable jobs. Secondly, so fucking what if we were? You’re not better than people with those occupations. Thirdly, we have so many occupations- each and every one of them deserving of respect.
• Thinking we have to chose between our culture and westernized culture. We don’t.
• Saying stupid shit like “hot like Mexico”.. really? Are you serious?
• Only respecting Latinxs that look a certain way
• Making Anti Latinx jokes.. this is obvious
• Thinking you can appropriate our language and culture. There’s Spanish from Spain and then there’s Latinx slang. You cannot use our slang and then disrespect us which you all do tbh.
Other Latinxs feel free to add in because I obviously missed so much.