canon facts #4: the Red we know has been Raymond Reddington at least since he was in the Naval Academy
the impostor theories had no real facts behind it. Again one clue or another can be interpreted in different ways, but taken together they cannot.
- Admiral Richards knows Red since his academy days in 1981-83
- Katarina knew Red since at least 1984 when she got pregnant with Liz
- Dom knows Red since Liz was born in 1985
- Carla knows Red since they were married, at least since 1985, probably when he got out of the Academy in 1981-84 depending on whether one accepts the literal sense of “by the time he was 24” or the vernacular misuse as a synonym of when.
- Kate knows Red since at least 1985 because in 1985 he placed Liz as a baby in her arms
- Sam knew Red since at least 1985, since Liz was born
- Stratos Sarantos knew Red since 1987, when Red was in the NIA and Stratos was running weapons for the Cypriot resistance.
- Fitch knows Red since at least 1989 when the fulcrum disappeared
- Cooper knows Red since their mission together in Kuwait in 1989
- Rostov knew Red since at least 1989, when Red took Liz. At some point he had a gun in Red’s mouth. Red is the man he believed had an affair with his wife, and for a while believed him to be the father of his child, until a fake DNA test convinced him otherwise.
- Peter Kotsiopolous knows Red from the fulcrum. he certainly knew Katarina enough to identify Liz as her daughter.
- Dembe knows Red since 1993, when Red rescued him at 14 years old.
- Ressler talks about prints matching and tattoos. Even if the prints were altered in the Navy files, they were also in a FBI background check on file in 1989 in Reddington’s file in 1.01
- he also had to have fooled MI-6
So what are the things that make people believe he is not Red?
2 stories: one about the pool and another about The Gambler in 1975, when The Gambler was released in 1978.
Red is a raconteur. If the pool story sounded better with him never going voluntarily in a pool he probably said it as much. And if he listened to another song while installing carpets for Mr. Kagadolian in 1975 but he considers The Gambler the worst song he ever heard, he would change the story. Is what a raconteur does.
And noteworthy that both stories were to the same man: Niko Demarkian, a man whose loyalty he was questioning, so hardly one he was going to slip while talking to in such stupid details.
Unless he did so ex-professo to gain something from it.
the famous line: I’m a criminal. Criminals are notorious liars. Everything about me is a lie.
People interpret this as if Red has said: I’m a criminal. Criminals are notorious liars. Everything I say is a lie. Or as if Red has said that he is not who they think I am. About me is not who I am .
Everything about me is a lie is a reference to things said and believed about him: Red is a Navy Officer who betrayed his country and abandoned his wife and daughter to begin a career as a concierge of crime. He has no country. He has no loyalties except to the highest bidder. He has an impeccable reputation a s a ruthless criminal.
I think that he is still doing an undercover mission to bring this mythic battle to an end. His revenge mission became a undercover mission in 1994, when he came to an arrangement with Fitch to bring the cabal down. Fitch was the man inside. Now, with Fitch gone, he has become the man inside. and the man doing the mythic battle