queen’s thief daemon au shit
because i’m too lazy to write a fic
- irene was used to people asking what chares would settle as. something pretty, perhaps, or something soft. after her brothers’ deaths, chares settled into a king cobra instead. rumors hold that it was his venom that killed her groom. they’re not true, but irene lets them circulate.
- eugenides was completely unsurprised when xenia settled into a housecat. he would stick her in his tunic as they climbed sometimes, but their bond could stretch farther than anyone else’s he’s met, anyway; she can spy and steal for him. once he loses his hand, she helps him hold down papers and get his arm through his sleeve.
- costis thought alexandra would settle into a wolf or a dog. instead he ended up with a bear. he’d never even seen a bear, but she seems to scare the shit out of criminals, and her bulk will fill up a door enough that even the king can’t slip past her. after particularly long days, she’ll carry him back to his rooms.
- chares and xenia were awful around each other at first, sniping physically and verbally. it’s chares who warms up to eugenides first, though; xenia avoids attolia altogether for months, and flinches if she gets too close
- the first time costis sees eugenides touching the queen’s daemon he nearly punches him again, no matter that half the court is watching. but chares apparently slithered around the king’s neck of his own accord. the king looks very pleased with himself at the ensuing shocked silence, and for the rest of the meeting afterward.
- xenia almost never talks to people, but she takes to costis immediately, addressing him when eugenides is busy in another room. costis is alternately pleased and unsettled.
- alexandra takes more than one arrow for the king and queen in their line of duty. costis worries every time, but she always reminds him that he would do the same thing, so he can’t really scold her for it. doesn’t make it any less awkward when the queen is injured and alexandra ends up carrying her.