TEN THINGS AN AUTISTIC PERSON WANTS YOU TO KNOW
1) I am autistic. There is nowhere that I end and autism begins.
2) Ordinary sights, sounds or touches may be difficult or painful for me. Please be understanding if I ask you to turn the volume down, turn the light off, or not to touch me without warning.
3) If I didn’t catch what you said, it may not be because I’m not listening. I sometimes have trouble processing spoken language, especially when there is background noise.
4) I like routines because I know what to expect. It’s best to not spring surprises on me.
5) Don’t ask me, “Everybody else can do X, so why can’t you?” I am not like “everybody else.” I may not even be like other autistic people.
6) I may have difficulty asking for what I need due to difficulties getting the words out or even just due to anxiety. I don’t mind if you ask me if I need something; just don’t do it every five minutes.
7) I learn better when I can learn MY way. Most people do, even those who aren’t autistic.
8) Just because I’m not making eye contact doesn’t mean I’m not paying attention.
9) Just because I’m autistic doesn’t mean I don’t want to have friends. However, I’m an introvert, and I need time alone to recharge.
10) Ask me about my special interest, but be prepared for a monologue.