Leave Mandie Alone
I can tell you why you should. I can speak from personal experience as to why you all need to take a huge step back and fuck right on off if you can’t handle a few mistakes.
Let me tell you my story.
I have a deviantart (DA) account. Many, many years ago, at least 5 or 6, I started working as a moderator in a group. Eventually, I ended up taking over the group and am now the founder, i.e, the owner, i.e, the boss, and I have been, for about… umm… maybe… 4 years now.
That’s all well and good, but I stopped using DA around the same time. That is to say, that this group is literally the ONLY reason I even bother to log onto DA anymore. That is literally IT.
And I get it… I could let the group die. Nobody could do anything, the old owner checks in sometimes and is still surprised it’s running. Really, nobody asked me to keep maintaining the group. But I feel obligated to, because I know people enjoy and benefit from it. Much like Mandie, I get no personal benefit for doing that. I don’t get paid. I don’t get any rewards. All I get in return is the occasional person commenting that they are glad the group exists. THAT IS IT.
That being said, however, I don’t owe anybody shit. And neither does Mandie. But people LOVE to act like we admins owe our patrons our ass on a silver platter simply for using our service, in this case the maintenance of a group/tumblr. Let me explain.
In this group, because it’s on DA, it runs off of submissions. People draw art, post it, and submit it to my group for review. For the longest time, I did it all by myself because having extra mods wasn’t working out. This led to the backlog of submissions stretching out to a month behind schedule, and in some instances submissions would just expire because I didn’t get to them in time.
Additionally, because of how many deviations I had to review, it was easier and far quicker to just glance at the thumbnail and vote it through or deny it based on what I saw. There’s not a not of detail in a thumbnail, where the art is shrunk.
Oh, did I mention? My group is strictly SFW.
Things I have had happen in my group:
- One user absolutely flipped her lid and went apeshit on me because I had accepted a deviation of an MLP character where you could see the silhouette of a clothed nipple. Barely noticeable when viewed on the page, absolutely nonexistent on a thumbnail. Didn’t stop her from ripping me a new asshole over it. Apparently she had an issue with ANYTHING relating to sex - which is fine, I get it, I know why these things happen. Did not stop her from being a total bitch and telling me I had no business running the group. Ironically had a photo of a blue waffle as her profile picture - didn’t respond but did change it when I couldn’t resist informing her what it was alluding to (left a Wikipedia link as so to inform her as gently as possible).
- had another guy tell me how to do my “job”. Would constantly note the group with submissions he felt were unacceptable for the group. Some were justified, most not. He ended up running around to other users, mini modding them and telling THE ARTIST DIRECTLY on the “groups behalf” they had no business putting their art in my group. Had to run after him and clean up, apologize to the artists, told him not to mini mod, but he kept doing it. Would only stop and ended up leaving the group once I refused to remove a submission he didn’t like after repeatedly arguing with me over it.
- was having an issue with the old owner coming back and voting things through differently than the way I had run things now - ended up having an angry user in my inbox demanding to know why her submission was declined when similar ones had been accepted. Didn’t like my answer explaining that the others shouldn’t have been accepted either and that we were having admin issues. Left the group.
- had to close down the featured folder because people won’t read the rules, they’ll just constantly submit to it instead of the proper folder. Closing it was the only way to get people to pretend to read.
- people that constantly submit things that are clearly against the rules- it’s not even hard rules, it’s things like “no commission information, adoptables, or sales allowed!” And yet getting nothing but pages of YCHs.
Those are just the main stories that I can think of right now, over the years I’ve had so many I could write a novel. And that’s just a stupid group on DA.
You all that are whining about Mandie, and throwing nothing but complaints, I’m so tired of all of your ignorant, crusty asses. If you think things are wrong, leave. Nobody will miss you, just like nobody misses the customer that says they’ll never be back. You don’t need to stomp your feet and cry until you get what you want just because one thing is wrong.
If you think you can do better, create another blog and do better. It’s easy until you get popular and your volume of submissions explodes out the ass. It’s easy to sift through every submission until you have hundreds to look through, all the while you have a job/school/baby/etc AND while people are sitting there bitching your head off because “why wasn’t my story posted???? Weehhhhhh.”
Nobody owes you anything.
There’s a difference between making legitimate complaints and bringing legitimate issues to the admin. But here’s a protip for you - if you’re running the owner off the blog, you’re doing it wrong.