IT’S ALL SO GOOD!
I can’t believe everything is so good right now in Richonne world. Like… it’s been a little over a year since our beautiful ship sailed and it’s all been so wonderful. Even with the whole “Saviors beating our heroes into the ground” roadblock. Like… I am just so happy with where are ship is and where it’s going. While other aspects of this show have let me down, Rick and Michonne always deliver.
- Rick and Michonne got an episode that focused in large part on them called “Say Yes”. In this episode, we got to see them laugh together, make love, kiss, hug, and, in a way, become engaged (if not married). The Walking Dead has never showcased a couple like this before – and it was a welcome gift.
- Not only “Say Yes”, but the mid-season premiere’s highlight moment was Rick and Michonne mowing down a herd of walkers with a steel cable then cuddling in a car afterward – on Valentine’s day no less. Then the next week’s episode, “New Best Friends”, had Rick giving Michonne a cat statue because he wanted to replace her old one, emphasizing Rick has been mindful of Michonne and what she likes for a long time. It goes to show the series is making a point to display how strong Rick and Michonne’s love is, and how it has not done anything to weaken their resolve. If anything, it has strengthened it.
- Richonne has been blessed to have both the actors portraying the relationship, Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira, be incredibly outspoken about the ship in positive ways. Neither one has had a rotten thing to say about the relationship, and both have actually gone out of their way to promote Richonne. Andy especially was notorious even before Richonne became canon, being very vocal about wanting Rick and Michonne as a couple – even while AMC was trying to sell Jessie as a potential love interest.
- Not only have Andy and Danai been supportive of Richonne, but so have other cast members (Chandler, Norman, Sonequa, Josh, Melissa, and Jeffrey come to mind). It’s so nice to see the team giving the thumbs up.
- AMC’s social media, while still having its stumbles (like its instagram posting a Lori/Rick fan art with the caption “The original power couple” the same week “Say Yes” aired), has been far more Richonne positive than ever. It used to be like pulling teeth to get them to acknowledge Richonne, but now they actively use the word “Richonne” and promote the couple in their tweets. Skybound’s Twitter has also been much more pro-Richonne recently than usual. It makes it all the more real, and all the more indicative they believe in this relationship.
- Professional critics have been overwhelmingly positive about Rick and Michonne’s relationship. While they’ve been negative about other aspects of this show this season, for the most part, they regard Rick and Michonne’s love for one another as a light in the darkness.
- Nevermind the content we’ve received with Rick and Michonne in the canon, which is unarguably the best of all. Just all their scenes. It’s all so golden. So good. What did we do to deserve such wonder and majesty?
And, to think, the season isn’t even over yet. :)