- SU AMETHYST THEORY: “Deep Cut” Definition - Not a Defect; a Secret Weapon!! -
So when the Crystal Gems are all at the forge, Bismuth calls Amethyst “Deep Cut”. She says “Hey deep cut, what’chu packin’?”
When Amethyst pulls out her whip, Bismuth is genuinely impressed and continues, “Not every Quartz can make a whip like this”
I looked up what a “deep cut” means in gem terminology.
“When we discuss colored gemstones such as sapphire, ruby and emerald,the main motive of cut is to maximize color to itsfull potential. In contrast, cutting in diamonds mostly refers to maximizing brilliance.”
“Stones that are too deep will look smaller than expected but they will show off more color than they would if they were cut to normal proportions. Deep-cut stones also preserve weight, increasing the cost of the stone without the expected increase in the size of the crown (top portion of the gem).”
Well, we now know why Amethyst is considered a defect by Homeworld, she came out cut too deep, so she looks smaller. But check out what else it says about deep cut gems; their color is more saturated, vibrant, beautiful. Possiblerelevance as their bodies are a projection of light, and with light you get colors.
I think that’s why her weapon is special.(Or, if the color has nothing to do with it, then a deeper cut/color would mean her potential is maxed out. Like maxed IVs!) They also ‘preserve weight ’ without having to be physically bigger. That could mean Amethyst has more mass packed in her body than the other gems; she’s smaller because of her gem’s density, which would explain her shapeshifting prowess.
In particular, why Amethyst can shapeshift into someone twice her size like The Purple Puma, or Jasper, without taking damage (when she’s used to the form, comparing Purple Puma vs Jasper, she’s been shown to sustain Puma for much longer without resting). Even then it took a long time before being Jasper started to be hard for her.
In contrast, remember how tired Steven got, from just stretching his body a few inches??
Her smaller body is ALSO why when she finally accepts herself, it takes her TEN SECONDS to reform after she’s poofed the second time:
How long did it take Pearl the Perfectionist?
TWO. WEEKS. So in battle, though she still needs some protection, Amethyst’s small size gives her a tremendous advantage; she could potentially save herself from being shattered by reforming almost immediately. No other gem has had that ability so far.
Finally, Amethyst is just deep. She’s a very deep person.
Why else do I think this is relevant? Well…
“Stones that are too shallow will look big for their weight and appear lighter in color than deeper-cut stones.”
Why does that sound familiar?
Shallow has several meanings here. Her weapon is a helmet. Her battle strategy is to run into her foe.
That’s a shallow strategy. No one will stay with Jasper because she only thinks of things from her perspective; she lacks insight in other’s emotions. She’s, in a way, shallow.
Or, an allegory for being born with pure talent vs having to work for everything you have, and how shallowpure talent alone really is.
Homeworld has a recourse problem, and Amethyst’s ‘deep cut’ gives her all the abilities of a regular cut Quartz soldier plus more, while taking the same amount of resources to create, and they’d consider her a defect?? Homeworld. You fools.
alternative title: i am broke and am too afraid to torrent
1. i use canva.com to create my icon art !! it’s free (yay webapps!!) n easy to navigate !! u have to sign up before using it,,, so go do that first
2. figure out a color scheme!! here are some resources for inspiration (xx). (lazy hint: pastels/muted tones generally make pretty foolproof color combinations)
3. find a subject! google images is your best friend. for the banner of this tutorial i chose a kikki k planner (here’s my reference image) and simplified it a bit. note that anything with uncommon shapes will be a bit more difficult to do based on canva’s relatively small shape selection. (ex: things like notebooks are easy to do in canva because they’re rectangular, but,,,,,say,,,, a starbucks cup might be a little harder because it’s a unique shape)
4. go to canva and click “custom dimensions” !! i generally have my icons around 400x400 px but it’s up to you! just make sure the length and width are equal
5. click on “background” > “document colors”. pick a background color from ur color scheme,, note that if you have a darker background you might want to have a lighter subject to create contrast and vice versa
6. click on “elements” > “shapes”. if you chose a rectangular subject like i did, then this should be rly simple – just pick the square and tweak it following the rough proportions of ur reference image. you can change the color of the shape by clicking it and selecting the square top left icon in the little toolbar that pops up !!
if you chose something a bit more complicated, like a pen, then use a combination of the shapes available and layer them on one another to form the shape. (ex: if i chose a basic pencil, then i might use the rectangle shape as the base of the pencil and the triangle as the point.) there’s no polygon tool or anything close to it in canva, so this is rly not a good time,, but alas. feel free to msg me if u need help !!
7. great great u got the base of ur subject down !! add a backshadow behind it! do this by selecting the shape(s) you just made and copying them !! select the copy and change its color. to access the color panel, select the new shape(s) and click on the little colored square in the top left corner.
now,, what color do we make the shadow?
in these icons, i make my shadow hue by copying the background color (go to “document colors” to find the bg color of the doc) and decreasing the original background’s brightness enough to make the subject “pop”. then, select your shadow and click “arrange” > “back”. now, offset the shadow– i generally just move it a tiny bit down and to the left of my subject. you’ll know when it looks right when the subject appears to have some depth.
8. add details to your subject !! here, you want to add anything on the surface of your subject !! some examples of things i have added to various subjects on this step are brand labels on stationery, lines on paper, buttons on a calculator,,, etc. play w it a bit !!
9. (optional) add a shine to your icon or object! go to “elements” > “shapes”. i generally have my shape cut across the center of the object/icon at a diagonal, so the triangle or circle are usually the best to use for this !! select whichever u choose and change its color to white. then, change its transparency by clicking on the upper-right checkered button. i usually choose a transparency anywhere between 10% and 30% !!
i hope that was helpful !! feel free to shoot me an ask/msg if u have any questions ♡
I'm not trying to come off as rude, but how is lance smarter than keith? Because impulse and intellect are two different things, so if your arguement is that Keith is more impulsive than Lance, meaning Lance is smarter, it is an invalid arguement.
I don’t take it as rude at all anon, don’t worry! And you also aren’t the first person I’ve met to wonder why I believe Lance is the smarter of the two either, so let me break it down:
if your argument is that
Keith is more impulsive than Lance, meaning Lance is smarter, it is an invalid argument.”
I agree 110%. I am also a firm believer that this doesn’t count because being rash or impulsive has NOTHING to do with intellect. So don’t worry, that isn’t my argument at all ^^
Hi!! I am so sorry to bother you but could you please explain the Julien Dahl thing? I have no clue who that is :O also, your blog is so lovely :•)
Hey you! Aw, you’re very sweet and don’t worry, you’re not bothering me at all! So, Julian Dahl is perhaps the most infamous case of skam breaking the fourth wall ever. Essentially he’s a real person who managed to have himself written into the show.
It all started during season one, when someone with the account juliandahl on instagram started commenting on isak’s and jonas’ updates as if he was a part of their universe as well and he knew them personally. (For instance he’d write “I go to class x I don’t know if you have noticed me there” etc). We know it is a real person because their account is private and also it was created way before skam was even a concept. The amazing part is that Julie and Mari, who runs all of the characters’ social media, actually took notice and they had isak and jonas reply to him as if they knew him as well. Here is a compilation of all those comments along with translations if you’re interested. After that, julian dahl became a character that was referenced in the show itself on a lot of occasions as you can see here and also during this very recent update from sara’s and isak’s chat that sana posted on saranors2!
And of course this fandom being who we are we took julian and his apparently huge crush on Isak and ran with it so that by now you can probably find dozens of headcanons and crackposts about him pining after isak from afar, his reaction to even swooping right in and stealing his man right under his nose as well as his efforts to get over him (he’s a character I’ve seen being featured in a lot of fics too, so we have truly reached new meta levels here haha). So there it is, Julian Dahl (or Kristoffer as he claims his name to be) is one of the biggest mysteries in the show and if you want to read more theories on him you can go through my julian dahl tag or even better through @softnorwegians tag for him since she is our designated julian dahl blogger here. Hope I’ve helped!
When he was admitted to the hospital he had high blood pressure and heart rate. He is still in a state of unconsciousness; no one knows how many pills he ingested but they know it’s a lot - they believe his pills were from a class called benzodiazepines, which are meant to treat anxiety. Seunghyun’s body would only reaction to strong stimulations so he is essentially unconscious. His blood carbon dioxide levels were high enough that he could’ve gone into cardiac arrest and due to the drugs, and his pupils did not react like a normal persons would. His breathing is still not at a normal level so he will stay in the hospital longer for recovery. After his condition improves, they will discuss his situation with mental health doctors. Based on their observations it will take at LEAST at week for Seunghyun to recover. The most important thing for Seunghyun when he gets better is that he needs psychiatric treatment.