Okay, apparently it is “canon” that Magnus went to Spain to learn to control his powers. BUT I call BULLSHIT on that because that implies that there were zero warlocks who could train him in Indonesia so…
- The reason he uses two fingers in his magic is because of his Indonesian Warlock trainers- they taught him that magic isn’t a tool or a weapon but another limb. A part of him.
- As a result, he doesn’t have to work as hard at “controlling” it as some of his western trained friends
- He’s way better at sensing other warlock’s magic in his territory because they taught him about the community of magic. How it isn’t about the individual and each spell cast enters the Warlock into a broader community.
- They teach him the truth: Warlocks aren’t really “immortal.” They can’t outlast the sun, outlive the species. There will never be a billion-year-old warlock. There are barely any warlocks over a thousand years old. As a Warlock ages, their magic gets more powerful and eventually it circles back into a type of cancerous destruction.
- A healthy, able warlock will probably live around five thousand- seven thousand years.
- They teach him not to mourn that: everything that is created must eventually be destroyed
- They teach him to not use his magic for destruction, or death. They teach him he should protect himself, but he never goes out of his way to end human life. They teach him instead how to use his magic to heal, to create, to protect. They actually teach him how to create wards which are more powerful than traditional European magic.
- He actually doesn’t go into battle, because he goes slowly. He doesn’t shoot to kill (which is quick), he aims to injure and subdue, which takes more time.
- Only against humans obviously, he kills demons because their only purpose is to cause destruction