Like hide my face, refuse to go to school, and smother my skin in 100 different products horrible acne.
It made me feel incredibly self conscious and every time someone looked at me, I thought they were just looking at my skin and thinking about how bad it was. I hated it.
Of course I tried to fix it with cleansers and creams and miracle whatever, but nothing worked. It wasn’t until I started paying close attention to what I ate and how it affected my skin that my acne started to clear up.
Here’s a quick list of diet related tips to keep your skin acne free:
1. Avoid dairy, alcohol, and sugar. So like, definitely no Bailey’s milkshakes lol. But seriously, all 3 of these are incredibly inflammatory to the body and acne is, essentially, just inflammation. So if you want to reduce acne, the best way to do it is to reduce inflammation in your body. And one of the best ways to do THAT is to cut out these 3 things.
2. Eat 8-10 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. I know this sounds like a lot, but you can easily fit ~6 servings in to a single smoothie!! Fruits and veggies contain antioxidants and phytonutrients and micronutrients and so many other incredible things that are good for your skin! The more the merrier!
3. Take an Omega 3 supplement (preferably vegan). Why? Because omega 3s reduce inflammation in the body!!! I take a vegan omega 3 supplement sourced from algae and it has reduced the redness in my skin dramatically. I noticed a difference only within a month too!
4. Try collagen. Collagen is honestly so good for you. I know it comes from animals so my vegan friends will want to avoid this. But taking collagen everyday has made, hands down, the most dramatic difference in my skin. Collagen smooths your skin making it plumper, softer, and more even. It can also help heal the lining in your gut and a happy gut is a happy life! Just make sure to order collagen from an ethical company that sources it from grass fed pasture raised bovine. And if you don’t want to take collagen…
5. Eat lots of Vitamin C. Vitamin C works to protect the skin, as well as stimulate the production of collagen in the body!!
6. Put fresh turmeric root in your smoothie. Turmeric is one of the most powerful anti inflammatories on the planet. I drink a little bit of fresh turmeric root (along with black pepper to increase the bioavailability of the active ingredient, curcumin) every day to shrink existing pimples, as well as to decrease the redness in my face. This stuff is awesome and a little bit goes a long way!
7. Eat fermented foods or take a probiotic supplement. Your gut is responsible for nearly every aspect of your health, so when your gut is happy and healthy, your skin will be too. And not only do they help with your skin, they can also regulate your digestive sustem, treat mental illnesses, decrease bloating, and help you lose weight! I like to eat lots of kimchi, sauerkraut, and of course kombucha to get a daily dose of probiotics.
Wow ok that was a lot more thorough than I intended lol but I hope this was helpful! Feel free to ask me any questions, I would love to explain any of these further. Xoxo
This day last year, 5,000 14 month old battery hens were about to be killed. They never seen the light of day, all they knew was darkness. All 5,000 hens luckily were rescued and every single one of them found homes.