Here’s a great recipe for those looking for a spin on an old fashioned veggie burger!
Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers: Peanut BBQ
vegan, makes 5-6 patties
½ cup cooked brown rice, short grain
½ - ¾ cups whole peanuts, roasted & salted (process until crumbly bits)
* start with ½ cup and add more if you’d like a nuttier burger
1 cup mashed sweet potato (oven baked)
1 ½ cups cannellini white beans, drained/rinsed in hot water to soften
1 Tbsp dry BBQ spice blend
2 Tbsp liquid BBQ sauce, vegan
¼ cup onion, diced
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
¼ tsp fine black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder + a few dashes cayenne (optional)
salt to taste
oil for sauteing (optional)
burger buns, vegan
sliced avocado (tossed in lemon juice)
slaw (optional topping or side)
toppings: onion, tomato, mixed greens
warmed BBQ sauce
sides: slaw, sweet potato tots (from Trader Joe’s! vegan)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prep: prep your veggies, process your peanuts and cook your rice. I used my Vitamix to process my peanuts. You want a blend of fine crumbles that range from powdery to chunky.
3. Combine your sweet potato, rice, beans, peanuts, spices, onion, parsley and BBQ sauce in a large mixing bowl. Start mashing! Mash until the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Spray a baking sheet with oil - must do to prevent sticking. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until edges brown. I like my patties on the softer side so I always under cook them a bit. If sauteing, add a splash of safflower or extra virgin olive oil to a hot sautepan and cook 2-4 minutes on each side over medium-high heat. Patties will fuse and firm up a bit as they cool.
5. Assemble: Toast buns. Slather warmed BBQ sauce on one bun and vegan mayo on the other. Place patty. Add onion,s tomato, sliced avocado and greens. Slice and serve!