Vegan Guy Fawkes Day Parkin (AKA Essay Avoidance Cake)
I’ve read that traditionally, Parkin contains golden syrup and oats. But some recipes don’t call for oats, so I figured I was in the clear. This cake is like eating a gigantic, soft, moist, gingerbread cookie!
1/8 cup molasses
½ cup margarine (melted)
¾ cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup milk alternative
1 ½ cup flour
1/8 cup cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ tsp ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
1. Combine molasses, sugar, melted margarine, and vanilla. Mix well.
2. Add milk alternative (it helps if it’s room temperature, otherwise it makes the molasses clump) and apple cider vinegar.
3. In another bowl, combine the other ingredients.
4. In three batches add the dry to the wet and mix until only small lumps remain.
5. At 175C, bake in a greased and floured cake pan (I used an 8 by 8 inch) for half an hour, or until a knife comes out clean.
6, Eat you cake, and remember that Guy Fawkes shouldn’t be hatefully remembered, how could you eat this cake and have anything other than warm feelings of goodwill?