fic rec time!
It’s three days into the New Year of 2017, seconds will be ticking by as we write/read/breathe/blink, and an orange turd will be rolling into the White House with its golden ferrari soon. Thus, I am providing a huge list of recommendations for various fan fiction stories across many fandoms, just for you guys. <3
(Disclaimer: I have loved almost every fic I’ve read, so there is no favourite and no lesser author/story than the other. Please know that if I don’t recommend a fic or author, I still love you, your writing, and your beautiful hearts.)
Summary: Sasuke knows his absence has deeply hurt his daughter Sarada. Now that he’s back, the challenges of mending broken ties is what he must face. An emotional journey with ties to religious concepts along the way.
- Of the hurt/comfort genre, but infinitely deeper and more complex than the classification itself. I love the complexity of each and every character in this story, and the way they deal with their respective trauma and grief. fanofthisfiction is unique in that they add their own take on the Naruto-verse into the story, namely religious concepts, that tie incredibly well into the overarching, highly-intricate nature of the plot. A great read.
Summary: To be loved by someone, by anyone, it makes life shine, like this. -AU-
(The plot is quite literally, and effectively, summed up by the title)
- One of the first AU stories that I’ve read in Naruto, and also heartbreakingly unfinished. There is some star-quality character development in this story, as well as beautifully written prose and a divine love line between the lovely NejiTen. I have read this story over and over and over again, and I highly recommend it to everyone in the squadron of NejiTen shippers, and anyone else who I have yet the pleasure to meet.
Summary: Romance is a bit difficult to do when you spend a majority of your time within fifty feet of the object of your affections and somehow still don’t quite understand that you’re falling in love with them, if only because being a full-time high school teacher while taking graduate school courses takes precedence over everything else. A Nejiten high school teachers AU
- It goes without saying, @tabine is the supreme ruler of sassy, hilariously-written AUs. I haven’t laughed this much when reading a story in ever, so I highly recommend this read, not only because it’s fantastic inside-out, but also because it’s raw and real and relatable. Teachers aren’t two-dimensional beings that are there for the sake of enforcing rigid disciplinary practices. They have post-grad work to do, they’re struggling to pay the rent in their apartment, they exist outside of classroom doors, and they are ultimately human beings.
Summary: Hey! It’s Sakura! Sorry I’m not on the phone right now, but leave a message and I’ll try to get back to you! Bye! ‘Beeeeeep’ “It’s Sasuke. I-I wanted to tell you that I miss you. I’m sorry about what happened those few days ago. I want to explain myself, but talking through the phone isn’t the best way. You still have the spare key to my house, I’ll be waiting.” AU
- I thoroughly enjoyed this back in 2012, when it was still in the process of being written. It’s absolutely fabulous, with some hilarious scenes and a great development in plot and in character. Everyone is utterly loveable, in my opinion, because they’re flawed and mostly try their best to make their way through life one step at a time. Highly recommend.
Summary: [NejiTen AU, Story 3 of the New York Society series] It seems doubtful that Neji Hyuuga, an upper level attorney, could make a relationship work with his latest client, rising arms consultant Tenten Long. It’s the personal choices that make the difference
- Because every single line was artfully written and laced with the author’s voice. I honestly felt like the scenes playing out were CW-level (in the good way), and thereby fabulous with a hint of swoon-worthy romanticism. I would’ve liked to read more of it, because the story was a bit rushed at the end to me, but it’s still fantastic nonetheless, and completed, which is also good.
Summary: AU. The numbers are still fresh on her mind — Nejiten & SasuSaku.
- There’s only one chapter so far, but in this chapter, there are 7126 words of intrigue, mystery, a dash of dystopia, romance, and a huge amount of horrifying nuances towards the nature of human breeding factories. This may or may not have been @asiantwinkies‘s intention, but I still love this particular (unfinished) AU because it’s so jarringly real. Highly recommend it, and highly expecting another chapter from twinquies. :)
@fruitysmellz who has a wealth of stories on FFN that are filled with NejiTen goodness. They’re retired from the life of fanfics now, and a veteran, but their stories are still locate-able online.
@keroribbit for their exemplary writing growth, as displayed through all of their stories. Chichue is a personal favourite of mine because it’s adorable, but they’ve written a load of one shots (as well as a Gakuen Alice AU, or two) as well.
@giada-luna because all of her stories, whether they are one-shots in a collection, or multi-chapter fics, have a rich, highly-researched foundation that allows her to explore all of her characters and settings and universes to the fullest.
Summary: After the unexpected death of her mother and the abandonment of her older sister, Artemis is uprooted and forced to live with an abusive father. Are a red-headed track star and a simple arrow the keys to bringing her a “Happily Ever After?” Warning: Mentions of Child Abuse and Suggestive Sexual Themes. Spitfire Multiple Parings, AU. COMPLETE
- While the title and overall plot is reminiscent of Hillary Duff’s A Cinderella Story, this one is in no way as lighthearted and adorable as the movie itself. One must absolutely ensure that they’re prepared for the various, highly mature themes that are explored in this story, as they may or may not come out emotionally scarred by Artemis’ plight. That being said, domestic abuse is something that is hidden behind closed doors and a taboo by the media. It is very real, and very traumatic to millions of people around the globe. I love this story because not only does it illustrate the immediate and subsequents effects of trauma on children, it shows that people often struggle to cope with their ordeals. (Also, there is a sequel story.)
Summary: “She tries to put a lot of words into the kiss, words she isn’t brave enough to say out loud: She’ll stand by him because she cares about him, and if there’s anything he’s taught her it’s that when you care about people, really care about them, you don’t leave. Not forever.” Sequel to my other story, Artemisia. Artemis-centric; the gap between Season 1 & 2. M in later chapters.
- Definitely read Artemisia before Parenthesis, or else you’ll be completely lost with the story. knottedblonde writes like a poet, follows the canon storyline incredibly well, provides her readers with more insight into the characters of Young Justice (namely, Artemis) and also brings her own ideas to the table as well. I follow Parenthesis religiously, because that 5-year timeskip has left so many questions unanswered, and she’s answering all of my questions, and then making me cry and laugh and cry again, several times over. So, a good read.
Summary: Harry Potter, re-imagined with the YJ characters. An old story being edited and reposted.
- Obligatory Harry Potter AU recommendation. I also LOVE it, for obvious reasons, so you should absolutely get on it right now.
Summary: "So you haven’t been sorted yet, then?“ Conner asked. Artemis shrugged, fiddling with her robes. "No,” she replied. “It’s the first on my to-do list, though.” Hogwarts AU.
- Now, @brella has a massive collection of YJ stories, all of which are beautifully-written, with a great representation of each character and their respective backstories (canon or not). I’m recommending this one because I’m a nerd and I love Harry Potter, but as a fan of her work, I’m also inserting:
* Royally Flushed because of the AU and because it’s relatable and achingly introspective. Artemis is a teen, she’s still learning about her place in society and who she is, and her life hasn’t been that great, but being made a princess overnight isn’t going to solve all her problems because she’s got to figure them out herself. The themes of friendship, self-identity, cultural identity, and familial bonds are explored thoroughly.
* The Next Great Adventure because we’re all devastated by (SPOILERS) Wally’s ceasing, and we all want him to come back from wherever he is, so the writers should read this story and follow the exact plot line so that we can all feel happy that spitfire is back and learning how to deal with one of the most horrifying moments of their lives.
Summary: It has to be a trick of the mind, or indigestion from last night’s Big Belly Burger, because there is absolutely no way Wally West could have that kind of an effect on her. Ever. (A Spitfire high school AU)
- @icanhearyouglaring has many stories as well, all of which can be found in the links provided, and are also stellar, platinum-quality, fabulous, sassy, and incredibly well-written. I love this for the character growth and the complicated histories of each character. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that one’s life isn’t complete until they make their way through the entire story, and then all the other stories in their collection, and then some more.
Summary: "It’s been six months since her father’s arrest, and Artemis Crock is tired of finding red spray paint on her car.“ or, a Veronica Mars AU, starring our favourite archer and Crock Investigations.
- Mystery is a hard genre to pull off without sounding overly-trope-y and cliche, but eliestarr does that, and then some more. Artemis is undeniably strong, but she’s also young and still vulnerable to the hardships of society as a whole. This story shows both of these sides to her character, which I adore.
Summary: You romance a Porpentina the same way you mate a Horntail. With utmost care. [Anthology. Latest: Singing You Know Where]
- As is the case with most authors, ksuzu has written many, many more fbawtf stories. This one is just as great as the others, and it has a great one-shot collection of Newt’s efforts to romance Tina, so 1000% read it.
Summary: Newt’s a barista who doesn’t like coffee, Tina’s a RA who likes to bend the rules, Queenie loves to matchmake, and Jacob’s just along for the ride. [University/Coffeeshop AU]
- It’s cute, it has a great representation of each and every character there is, and it has the same exhilarating dynamic between the Fearsome Foursome as the movie does. <3
Summary: Lily has always considered herself ordinary. But as she enters her 7th year, things start changing and Lily starts going a bit mad. Suddenly, she’s Head Girl, her mates are acting strangely, and there’s a new James Potter she can’t seem to get rid of. PRE-HBP
- @bcdaily is one of the many go-to people for Lily-James fics, but they’re great in that each of their stories explores different angles of Lily and James’ respective characters. This one’s unfinished so far, but they and universe have blessed us with a status update on their tumblr page, so there will be more and I am heaps excited.
Summary: She was dramatic. He was dynamic. She was precise. He was impulsive. He was James, and she was Lily, and one day they shared a kiss, but before that they shared many arguments, for he was cocky, and she was sweet, and matters of the heart require time.
- Sitting at 10707 reviews, @itreallyatemyhand‘s story has an intricate plot line, great and complex character development and relationships, as well as a somewhat macabre undertone to the onset of Lord Voldemort and the rising war. Unfinished, and unsure if it will be finished, but it’s a great read nonetheless.
Summary: So maybe everything didn’t work out perfectly for Harry. Still, most of his friends survived, he’d gotten married, and was about to become a father. If only he’d have stayed away from the Veil, he wouldn’t have had to go back and do everything AGAIN.
- 429 stories, and a knack for blunt humour in each one. I promise you, this is 50 chapters of hilariousness, addressing almost all the plot holes in Harry Potter, a great deal of fan theories, and just overall a fantastic piece to read if you’re feeling down.
Summary: Newt comes back to New York with a copy of his book for Tina. But this isn’t the end of a love story; it’s the start of an adventure. After large groups of New Yorkers realize they share identical blank spots and phantom memories, conspiracy theories flourish. The chaos is compounded by rumors of a vicious alligator in the subways. Newt thought he’d come back to New York for a kiss, but nothing’s ever quite that easy. Novel-length action with heavy (read: adult!) Newt/Tina. *COMPLETE*
- The author has a great balance between emotional growth, relationships, romance, adventure, sorrow, sadness, love, and sex, in this story. It’s fantastic to read, with great character dynamics and portrayals that align with the canon-verse incredibly well. Kudos to LadyBaelish27!
Summary: Set while Jane and Daria are in Boston; an unlikely agreement is struck between Quinn and Trent to get his life started in the attempts of turning Daria’s head when she comes back to Lawndale.
Summary: A collection of drabbles and scenes of Once Upon a Time characters set at Hogwarts. This is a Captain Swan fanfiction, with Killian Jones cast as a Hufflepuff.
Summary: In the campus of Middle-Earth University lies the Fellowship Café, the famous coffee and Legolas’s delicious vegan friendly (who knew?) baked goods. Owned by none other than Gandalf the Grey, the café is the employment place of many of the students, and the greatest place to get a rather decent cup of coffee to get students through the misery of University.
Summary: "I’ll be fine, Alya. It’s only a couple blocks.” “But it’s ten at night, it’s not safe. Especially with that Chat Noir prowling around.” AU
Summary: It’s hard being a part of the pureblood society. Especially when your secretly half human. But Adrien liked to think he had it down, that he was in control of his heritage. Well, he was. But a chance meeting with a little witch ruffled him up. Veela!Adrien
Summary: You don’t understand!“ Chopper shouted with tears running through his fur. "Robin’s lost her mind! She’s literally been driven insane!”
Summary: Elsa and Jack, and their seven years at Hogwarts. AU series of interconnected vignettes