Reflecting on the year with the 16 songs - new or old - that soundtracked our respective 2016s.
1. “Pt. 2″ - Kanye West - The Life of Pablo This song opens up the playlist because it is quintessentially 2016. And by that I mean that it’s confusing, a banger, full of memes, and really sad.
2. “Ivy” - Frank Ocean - Blonde I love Blonde, but it took me a little white to get there. The amorphous, hypnotic album doesn’t have any particular hits, but the raw emotion of the piece as a concept made the 4-year wait worth it. “Ivy,” the second track, is one of my favorites, because you practically feel yourself falling in love right alongside Frank. We see that theme across this list and across 2016 - a departing of more traditional pop sounds for dreamy, wavy hooks combined with jarring, inventive noise.
3. “RedBone” - Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love! Awaken, My Love! was ultimately a little disappointing, IMO. But oh my god, this song is so good. Make no mistake - this is baby-making music. If you are not making babies to this song, you are listening to this incorrectly. I went to a listening party for the album and I’m 80% sure this song turned the tide of the 30+ dates I was watching unfold around me. It’s that potent. Handle with care.
4. “All Night” - Beyonce - Lemonade YO, 9:30! I’M REALLY HAPPY FOR Y’ALL, IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT LEMONADE IS ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME. Okay, maybe not of all time, but you don’t have to be a resident member of the Beyhive to tell that this album is straight fire. It’s got everything - the black power anthem, a rock song with Jack White that sounds freshly cut from Yeezus, and even a country song with the Dixie Chicks. Lemonade is a cross section of what 2016 was - a year of cacophonic harmony. But I chose the penultimate number, “All Night,” to be on this list on slightly different grounds - it is a beautiful, emotional story of admiration, real, unselfish love for another human being. Yeah, it reminds me of my girlfriend. I’m not crying, you’re crying.
5. “With That” - Young Thug - Barter 6 Okay, back to that dirty s**t. “With That” is nasty. It makes you scrunch up your face and vibe. Young Thug really broke through in 2016, and as did his genre, the disdainfully-named mumblerap, spawning proteges such as Desiigner and Lil Yachy. Can you make out the words he’s saying? Maybe not. Do you know that it’s some real s**t? Absolutely. Though Barter 6 came out in 2015, Young Thug makes music so fast the album is already 5 albums back (I’d start with Barter, it gets a little sketchy from there). Young Thug is pushing the envelope for rap by breaking every rule in the book.
6. “Wolves” - Kanye West - The Life of Pablo When I heard “Wolves” on my first listen through of TLoP, it was all but confirmed: Kanye West has lost his damn mind. “Wolves” is a great song buried in the back end of Pablo, and explores Kanye’s love for his wife, Kim K. It spends 5 minutes comparing Kim’s relationship history: her sex tape, followed by her televised wedding, and subsequent divorce after 72 days to the biblical story of the Virgin Mary. “Wolves” is an awesome song, though, regardless of the fact that it is probably played repeat during Donald Trump’s appointments with his team of expert cheeto dust appliers.
7. “715 - CR∑∑KS” - Bon Iver - 22, A Million 22, A Million came out on the 30th of September this year, and felt like that second that your ears pop. 2016 demanded toughness from all of us. “715 - CR∑∑KS” was sweet, sweet emotional release. It’s the best album of 3016. It will make you smile, take a deep breath, then go look out a window. Please go listen to it.
8. “Rome” - Ratatat - Magnifique Ratatat is a pretty unknown band whose biggest claim to fame is producing the beat of the 2009 Kid Cudi hit, “Pursuit of Happiness.” They are also my favorite band. Though Magnifique came out in 2015, I saw Ratatat at Echostage in January, and I have no words. Psychedelic rock is awesome. “Rome” crescendos to a powerful, hypnotic riff before dropping to almost silence, and building back up to an insane musical orgasm. It’s a flawless song. Plus, Ratatat is awesome, and more people need to know about them. They make life music.
9. “Some Minds” - Flume - Single Listen to me right now: If Mozart was alive today, he would be standing at the front bar of a Flume show. I saw Flume at 9:30 this fall and legitimately melted. This man builds music from sounds that don’t exist in the natural world; he literally pulls music OUT OF THIN AIR. I’ve seen this song’s drop put people in an actual trance. Like Young Thug, Flume has led the charge of a new sound in EDM, and this song in no exception. His newest album, Skin, came out in 2016, and it amazing. This song is amazing. Flume is amazing. You’re welcome.
10. “Dirty Work” - Herobust - I’m Aloud Dirty Work is not for everyone. I got into EDM especially hard this year, though I was very hesitant at first. It’s hard to keep up with EDM from the outside: so many DJs, how it all sounds kinda the same, and of course, the drugs. But if you don’t like EDM, especially if you don’t like EDM, listening to this will give you a taste of how inventive the genre has gotten. What is this??? It sounds like industrial machinery. It sounds like a transformer falling down the stairs. It sounds like a dial-up modem. But why…can’t I stop… dancing????
11. “Safe” - Dumbfounded - We Might Die “Safe.” This is a guilty pleasure song for me, one of the 17 people in the DMV who has a passion for the LA rap scene and knocksteady radio. This woke af song is off Dumbfounded’s new mixtape, We Might Die, and discusses the lack of Asian representation in Hollywood. By the numbers, I probably listened to this song more than any other song in 2016, and I’m not close to ashamed. Dumbfounded is known as a lyrical god out west, and he is gonna be in DC on February 4! Go see him! Do it!
12. “One Dance” - Drake - Views Yeah, I couldn’t not. This was the uncontested jam of the summer, never failing to get me and every 20 something woman around me doing our best Drake, or our most cultivated Rihanna. The song also brought dancehall and Afrobeat music to the mainstream, making summer sixteen especially awesome.
13. “Untitled 7″ - Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered. Okey doke. It’s hard for me to not overreact and call this the best song of the year, but I don’t think I could name a better one. Kendrick Lamar developed untitled unmastered. from the floor cuttings of To Pimp A Butterfly and accidentally created a series of songs that rival the full-length albums of his contemporaries. A jazz, trap, hip-hop fusion, “Untitled 7″ is the cherry on top of an already insane series of songs. It is close to being a perfect song. Production-wise, the beat of “Untitled 7″ is hallowed ground: other rappers won’t touch it. I think about Kendrick when I’m asked about how music can change the world. Lamar’s voice echoes around the song, half taunting, half challenging the rap game as a whole to get on his level: “Levitate, Levitate, Levitate, Levitate.”
14. “Alright” - Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly 2017 is the beginning of a new chapter for the world. Will we find the strength to love and trust each other, rising to the challenge of our planet’s greatest tests? Or will we succumb to the darkest impulses of humanity? “If God got us, we’re gon’ be alright.”
15. “Come Down” - Anderson .Paak - Malibu Anderson .Paak killed it this year with his release of Malibu. I had followed Anderson for a long time, first as Breezy Lovejoy, then through many short-lived projects, until this final form. “Come Down” is a great song, an energetic, groovin’ tune like only a west coaster can make. I’m excited to hear more from this guy in 2017, and I don’t see him going anywhere but up.
16. “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” - Kanye West - Graduation This song is always important to me, this year included. Kanye may be a bit of a kook sometimes, but here’s a good point: keep your head down, get tough, do what you say you’re gonna do. Those haters are going to keep coming, no matter what. But when you get your money? Then, they cant tell you nothing. It’s not the worst resolution, wouldn’t you agree? Happy holidays and good luck in the New Year!
Hello lovely peeps! I posted this a while ago but I lost it. But I made up a new one and edited it for you guys! Some fics are WIP, and I’ll check them for you so you know which are WIP, in planning, or almost done. Also, I’ll post when they’re done or updated on my account on AFF!
Enjoy!~~~~~~~~~ link to all fics; past, present and future: http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view_author_stories/884234/L
✏️- In planning
✔️-Working on now
❤- Pfft! Not even close
💙- So close
✒️💚1) Xiuhan- Sweet Fascination~. Xiumin is the head honcho of a wealthy company who is married to Yuri of SNSD. Who is expecting their first child. The pregnancy has been more than difficult on Xiumin, and a coworker helps him through his time of “need” and soon enough, little kisses in the hall turn into more than Xiumin knew what to do with. PLOT TWIST THOUGH.
Rated: R for language and sexual content. One shot.
✒️✔️💚/💖2) ChenKai-Heart of The Wolf.
Wolf!au!!!! Jongdae is an Omega. Jongin is an Alpha, newly recruited to the pack. He’s the strong, silent type. Until Jongdae goes into heat. Love blossoms between these two misfits. Jongin would do anything to make Jongdae happy. But Jongin’s past catches up with him… Little do they know, their troubles have just started. Contains past!JonginxTaemin
Rated: R for language, sexual content, a/b/o verse, and Mpreg. Multi-chaptered, ongoing~
You can find the link to the fic below. Also, it has both a 💚and 💖 because there are chapters up.
✏️❤️3) HunHan- Student Body ch.3: Teacher’s Pet.
Holy crap guys. Get ready for some explicit stuff.
Rated R for language, dirty talk, BDSM themes, water sports, teacher/student intercourse, under-aged student, and good old kinky sex. Chapter continue. FOR MY BEAUTIFUL sehunslubedcock
✏️❤️4) EXO- The Sacred Story
The future. A once prosperous and bountiful land now lay in ruin; swarmed with ancient monsters and taken over by Hell. The land once had elements of 12 to protect it, but these elemental beings are now long gone. Slaughtered by Lucifer himself. Now, centuries later, these 12 elements are reborn again as different men; reincarnations of their ancestors. Can these 12 different and powerful elements come together to defeat the evil that’s plaguing their world? Rated R for language, gore, action and adult situations. Alongside fantasy, sci-fi and futuristic mumbo-jumbo. Mentions of Hell, monsters and ancient creatures. Multi-chaptered. Dedicated to my best friend and gay lover schatten-jaegers 💞
✏️❤️5) Baekyeol- untitled- paranormal!au~ Chanyeol and Baekhyun are husbands, moving to a new house for Chanyeol’s work. Baekhyun is a few months pregnant since he is a carrier. Able to become pregnant for survival reasons, it runs in his family. But their new house is haunted. The spirit is angered by Baekhyun, angered by his pregnancy and their marriage. It does anything to hurt Baekhyun and their unborn child. What happens why Chanyeol doesn’t believe his husband?
Rated R for sexual content and language, Mpreg, with a ghostly visitor. Multi-chaptered.
✏️❤️6) ChenBaekYeol- untitled
Chen and Chanyeol are happily married. Have been for 5 years. Chen is a work at home “wife” while Chanyeol works with his uncle at a multi-billion dollar company. The perfect couple who couldn’t be happier. Till one night Chen suggests going to a market for a pet/slave to spice things up for them. They Both agree and a few days later, Baekhyun is introduced. Though, these two are very different from Baekhyun’s past masters. They’re kind, fun, interesting and they treat him as an equal. He’s told he is their boyfriend. Till Baekhyun’s past catches up with him. If Chen and Chanyeol claim to love him, will they fight for him?
Rated M for sexual content, mentions of abuse, language and threesomes. multi-chaptered.
✒️💚7) Baekyeol- untitled
Baekhyun wakes up dead, with no memory or knowledge of how he met his untimely demise. He is but a ghost, silent, and invisible. But when he finds that his husband, Chanyeol, and their 9 month old daughter are in trouble he does anything he can to save them. Can he?
Rated M for language, character death, dark themes, sexual content(?) and feels. One shot.
✒️💜 8) Baekyeol- Eye Spy
Request by chen-ah 💗💗💗💗
Chanyeol is but a normal boyfriend. Or so that’s how his boyfriend, Baekhyun, sees him. He’s actually the best agent in his company, dealing with stealing, collecting information and in most cases, assassinations. When Chanyeol is sent on a mission to retrieve top secret information, his mission goes astray thanks to a mysterious, skilled enemy. The stranger foils his mission. But that’s not the only nor last time they meet. Who this stranger is, Chanyeol wishes he never found out.
Rated M for language, sexual content.
✏️❤️9) Kai&soo- We’re What You Fear in the Dark. Hybrid!au. Do Kyungsoo has a little secret he keeps locked in his basement. One shot. Rated R for gory scenes.
✏️❤️10) Kaibaekyeol- untitled~ zombie/apocalypse!au. They were always together. Since day one, it had always been the three of them. Even before the outbreak and the virus that spread across the globe, causing reanimated, cannibalistic corpses to roam the earth. Chanyeol is the scavenger, Jongin is the tracker and healer, and Baekhyun is looking pale. Rated R for language, gore, blood, past spousal and domestic abuse/rape, violence, romance, dark themes and zombies. Polyamory relationship. Length undecided.
✨✨If you guys have ANY questions, comments or concerns, my ask box is always open~ xoxo enjoy babies!
I DO TAKE REQUESTS AND PUT THEM AS FIRST PRIORITIES!!!✨✨
It’s been a really rough year for me, but one thing I am grateful of is the amount of writing I managed to get done.
Thank you to everyone who liked, reblogged, gave kudos and bookmarked, and supported and encouraged my writing this year. Special shout out to @ericadays@inell@queerlyalex @banshee-cheekbones and @sleepy-skittles, thank you all so much! <3