Happy New Year!! This year is the year we are finally getting my cat fixed. We've been meaning to since we got her but I've read a lot of things about spaying being potentially bad for them, that some cats have issues with anesthesia, and that some of the cheaper vets don't use as much medication to manage pain after surgery. What are some questions that I can ask my local vet to make sure kitty gets proper care, or to better understand the surgery? Tax: have you ever worked with exotics?
You can’t assume that “cheap = poor care” necessarily. Some places will discount their services below cost without skimping on the service, some places (eg shelters) will be able to lower their costs due to economies of scale.
Some questions you might want to ask include:
- What anaesthetic monitoring is in place?
- What qualification do the nurses/techs have?
- What pain relief is provided for the surgery?
- Do you use internal or external sutures?
- Are revisits for complications or post-surgery checks included?
- What is her expected recovery time?
- Do you use one surgery kit per patient?
And yes I have done some work with exotics, but not so much these days.