TBB Appreciation Post!
In anticipation for the TBB Watchalong today, and in honour of its five-year anniversary, I’m showing my appreciation for this episode with the TBB section listed on my Masterpost! It was actually my FAVOURITE episode for a very long time – until THoB then TSo3 – so I’m sharing my love for this under-appreciated episode!
- How Did “The Blind Banker” Get Its Name?- All the Sherlock episode titles are derived from the titles of ACD Holmes stories…. except for The Blind Banker… A theory on where this episode may have got its name (Hint: It’s Johnlock-related ;)).
- “This is my Friend” - An analysis of the scene where John corrects Sherlock. Theorizes on how much their relationship has developed since.
- ”We All Hated Him” - An analysis on Sherlock’s character and theorizing about his past based on his interactions with Sebastian Wilkes in TBB.
- Symbolism of Scarves - In an episode that heavily uses codes to crack the case, the scarves used to choke Sherlock also hold a Johnlock-related symbolism as well…
- Sherlock and the Gherkin - It may be a modern symbol of London, but there’s a lot of subtext present in the first appearance of this iconic building. A theory that suggests the Gherkin is being used as a metaphor for Sherlock’s blossoming attraction to John.
related posts: [The Gherkin Revisited] | [The Gherkin Once More]
Heck, why not, here’s also my list of my favourite TBB things!!
- THE PROMO PHOTOS JESUS H CHRISTNUGGETS.
- THE TEA METAPHORS, HOLY CRAP.
- John fighting with the Chip and Pin. I can relate.
- Sherlock’s look of admiration when John admits he fought with a chip and pin.
- Sherlock taking a case from his former something-or-other-who’s-now-an-asshole JUST BECAUSE JOHN NEEDED MONEY.
- John being the trashbag he is by hitting on his NEW BOSS after falling asleep on the first day on the job. WOW.
- The subtext. So. MUCH. SUBTEXT. I never saw it until I got head-deep into the Johnlock fandom.
- Sherlock already becoming attached to John after only being flatmates for about 2 or 3 months. You can see it in everything Sherlock does this episode. It’s really ridiculous.
- Sherlock being confused at what “date” means. Literally that line is one of my favourites in the series.
- Sherlock following John on John’s date with Sarah.
- John surprising Sherlock not once (knowing where they should go next) but twice (John thinking ahead and taking the photo for Sherlock)! :D It makes me smile SO SO HARD MY CHEEKS HURT.
- The “dancing” (it’s close enough!!) and the little pat on John’s cheek, I’m dying.
- Sherlock being stupidly excited about figuring out the code, so the first thing he does is run back home to get John’s approval… only to realize John got stolen from Sherlock.
- THIS LOOK:
- John whump. I’m a sucker for John whump and Sherlock in a right panic about it. I LOVE pining Sherlock, and this episode is literally the beginning of it. It breaks me and makes me so miserable I love it! <3! :D
- Sherlock being so so gentle with Sarah at the end and John being the absolute trash he is and is like “Well, hopefully our next date won’t be like this!”. JOHN MY GOD YOU TRASH HEAP I LOVE YOU.
- Sherlock taking genuine gratification in making someone else happy.
- JOHN’S STRIPED JUMPER. UGH. He looks like a precious peach and I can’t even:
- I actually loved the ambiguity of who “M” was, and I love it more now that S3 is around, because there are SO MANY M’s in Sherlock that WE DON’T KNOW FOR SURE ANYMORE IF “M” was Moriarty!!
(pics are mine :))
Please feel free to add your favourite TBB Things to this post!! They’re probably mine too, but I forgot to add them because I love this episode and I just AGHHH. :D Let’s show our appreciation for this underloved eppy! :D