What happens when you go to both UBCeast and UCBT in one night?
You see the premiere of “Freak Dance” (which was hilarious)
There is fast food
Hannibal Burress makes you laugh
Some kick-ass band named Langhorne Slim and the Law plays a set*
REGGIE WATTS SHOWS UP AND KILLS IT
You don’t pay a dollar for any of it.
You should have seen my face when they announced Reggie Watts was going to perform. I lost my mind. I went from
to having an emotional breakdown at how fucking awesome tonight has been
I have no regrets.
*sidenote: I have been listening to Frontier Ruckus a lot lately. I had been avoiding them because they reminded me of Matt and that normally led to crying fits and homesickness and tumblrposts that get taken way out of context by tweens/reblogged by “fuck yeah love” etc.
For some reason, they have really been touching my heart. Everything they have recorded is absolutely beautiful. It made me miss my guitar. It was this sound that I needed and I wanted to replicate and be a part of somehow. I haven’t played in months and left my shitty hand-me-down guitar at home because I figured I wouldn’t have time to play at all.
So I bought a guitar.
A cheap, not so great Fender acoustic. It’s getting the job done.
The band that played at UCB was such a pleasant surprise because they were like the upbeat Frontier Ruckus I needed to hear. The banjo player was just amazing. Everything about their performance was great. If you get the chance, listen to both these bands. You won’t regret it.
Look a poster! The Fascinator is this Saturday, August 11 at 7 pm at the UCB East Village Theatre! Featuring a totally incredible panel: Brett White (Matt & Brett Love Comics, UCB’s Maude Night, Sitting 3 feet away from me right now), Jackie Jennings (The Improvised Play, UCB’s Harold Night), Nicole Byer(Doppelganger, UCB’s Harold Night), and Josh Ruben(CollegeHumor, Most Web Comedy Videos)!
This one is going to be extra fun. I can guarantee this will be the most fun you will have learning on August 11 at 7 PM in New York City’s East Village. And DEFINITELY stick around for Pat Baer’s love letter to the internet… show, 404int It!
Poster by Dyna Moe, ham fisted addition of people’s headshots by me and MS Paint.
Join us for an advanced screening of Comedy Central’s new series Broad City. Followed by a performance from the stars of from the show, Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer, the girls you love from UCB. Free admission and one free drink included (must be 21 or over to drink).
Online reservations accepted but not guaranteed. There will be a stand by line at the door.
Even though it snowed in October, UCBeast managed to have a NYT worthy opening. I love everyone involved in the process of making this opening a success and I look forward to keeping everyone giggly by providing the beer and/or fancy pants beer.
The Upright Citizens Brigade’s second theater opened today! And without giving away my apartment’s exact coordinates, I will say that it’s just a few blocks away from the new theater. Not that the grimy first theater isn’t lovely, but this one is supposed to have more stand-up and storytelling and perhaps will diffuse some of the original theater’s line. Also, I must confess, as an incredibly lazy person, convenience is an aphrodisiac.
I would link the schedule but it doesn’t seem to be on the site yet, so here it is:
Wednesday 9/7 7:30pm - $5 - Outlook of the Poet + Two Man Movie *9:00pm - $5 - Doppelganger + Cheating On Harold (this week: Standard Oil + Very Good Kiss) *11:00pm - free - The Improv Jam (hosted by Grandma’s Ashes) *
Thursday 9/8 6:00pm - free - Oh, Hey Guys (storytelling open mic, hosted by John Flynn) 7:30pm - $5 - Adam Wade: BIG HEART 9:00pm - $5 - Totally JK (hosted by Joe Mande and Noah Garfinkel) 11:00pm - free - Gutbucket (stand-up open mic, hosted by Rob Stern and Amber Nelson)
Saturday 9/10 7:30pm - $10 - AIRWOLF: Let’s Go Back To Your Place 9:00pm - $10 - The Extended Play E.P. Music Album Release Party with TJ Miller 11:00pm - $5 - Underground Americana (w/ Jeff Rubin, Lang Fisher and more)
Sunday 9/11 7:30pm - $5 - Two Fun Men + Off The Cuff 9:00pm - $5 - Hot Soup 11:00pm - $5 - Fresh Out (hosted by Adam Conover)
Monday 9/12 8:00pm - $5 - Wheelhouse (hosted by Will Hines) 10:00pm - $5 - Improv Nerds *
Tuesday 9/13 8:00pm - $5 - After Hours with Gene Hackman & Friends 10:00pm - $5 - It Is It (hosted by Adam Lowitt)
I wanted to call this 13 “blogolutions” or “vlogolutions” for 2013, but that just felt really dumb and so now you’re just getting regular old resolutions. Deal with it, it’s the last slight I’m dealing you in 2012.
1. Post more pictures.…of myself, my apartment, New York, Cincinnati, and everything in between. I made this blog solely with the intention of pushing myself to create and I intend to do a lot more in 2013.
2. Get in shape. I got a headstart on all those “resolutioners” that will be clouding up the gym in the next 2 weeks, but I am pledging to actually stick with it. I bought a yoga mat and everything.
3. Dress. Cooler. I don’t mean be all materialistic, but it’s about time I stopped looking like an explosion at the mall. I have really good taste when I actually take the time, and I miss being that in tune with my personal style. Maybe this blog will even be a little more fashiony…
4. Finish Improv and start Sketch at UCB. I had the biggest blast during Improv 101 this past fall, and I know that it’s what I need to be more successful in the long-run.
5. Post consistent videos and blogs. I have this awful typical blogger habit of disappearing for like a week and then just showing back up like I’m a treasured show on NBC. You all deserve better, and I’m going to commit this time.
6. Travel. I haven’t left the country in almost 4 years, and I haven’t done enough continental travel. I will change that. I have some plans to see some friends around the world this year.
7. Learn how to eat. I am not an invalid. I know how to eat. What I mean is learn how the right way. I don’t really know how to cook that many things, and I either go long periods forgetting to eat, or just eat based on whatever chocolate craving I’m having. No more. Me and this body need to get all sympatico.
8. Read even more. In 2012 I vowed to read more, and I have. Sure, doing Tipsy Book Reviews incentivized reading, but I actually really like reading. All that time spent on the subway and in cabs doesn’t have to be spent worrying about what that smell is. I can actually just get lost in stories (but not so lost in stories that I get robbed).
9. Create a web-series. It’s in the works. I just need to work out details like equipment, shooting schedules, and casting. I have a good feeling about it.
10. Make my bed. I always envied those people that would give up an extra 6 minutes a morning to make their bed. I plan on doing that gym thing before work, so maybe it won’t be so hard to do it if I commit to…
11. Go to bed earlier. I’m at this lucky stage in life where my only commitments are my living situation and my job. That’s a great place to be. I need to stop convincing myself that anything good happens after 11pm on Wednesdays and work on actually getting enough sleep.
12. Pay down my debts. Student loans? Yeah, they’re a bitch. This year I’m committing to actually getting rid of a few of them. I want good credit. I want all those adulty things that go with good credit. It’s time to get it done.
13. Meet loads more interesting, amazing, wonderful, complicated human beings. (yes, that photo is Shannon from CoffeyChat) New York is huge. ENORMOUS. I think it’s harder to meet people because of it. I’m going to do it though, I’m going to meet more people who are doing what I want to be doing, and I’m going to learn everything I can from them and hopefully give them some love in return.