GIRL WITH THE GOLDEN TIFFIN :: MANGO LASSI IN 3 EASY STEPS
Mangoes are my favourite fruit. The seven month ban on Alphonso mangoes has finally been lifted in the UK (I keep track of these things) in time for summer and my heart sang for joy at the news. As a young girl, my grandad would buy crates of mangoes that would last a few hours before the swarm of children gorged their way through the fleshy pulp. I love mango lassi too. I wish we had an Indian summer in England, but the closest we can get to replicating this is reminiscing about holidays in sunny climates over a chilled glass of mango lassi. This simple concoction of mango, yogurt, sugar and cardamom powder usually does the trick to help beat the (imaginary) heat!
- 500g (1 can) of mangoes in syrup; East End stock a lovely Alphonso variety
- 1 ½ cup natural yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk(more if you desire a thinner lassi)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder (cinnamon is a great alternative)
1) Pour the can of mangoes along with the syrup into a blender along with cardamom to create a pulp.
2) Mix in the yogurt, a little milk and blend again. Add the milk gradually until you achieve your ideal consistency. I like mine fairly thick and frothy so I add a cup.
3) Pour into lassi cups and top with crushed pistachios before serving.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this series of posts on TBG. If you want to stay updated with new recipes, check out www.girlwiththegoldentiffin.com where I post weekly ideas of what to cook next!