This week’s meeting was about Community. We began the meeting by showing the video we made for last week’s Living Your Story for members who couldn’t make it to the event. We hope to have this uploaded to youtube soon.
At the start of the meeting, Erin asked everyone to share something good that happened to them during the week. Alot of people had gotten really good grades on tests, gotten paid or started new jobs and had fun times with friends. We then started talking about community and the different types of community.
The 4 stages of community
- Psuedo-community - This is the “play nice” stage of community. People present the best side of their personality.
- Chaos - When people move beyond the first stage and feel comfortable enough to begin showing their “shallow self”. This is often the stage where people begin to get on another’s nerves.
- Emptiness - This stage moves beyond attempts to fix and heal the chaos stage. People within this stage begin to acknowledge their own brokenness, and can accept one another’s faults.
- True community - The process of deep respect and true listening and caring for one another. Reflects a deep yearning for understanding and compassion.
We stayed in one big group and discussed different types of communities and how they affect us. We also talked about our own experiences with community, and what the healthy aspects and benefits are of community. Many people agreed that our chapter has become a close community.
We finished this meeting with a group activity. One person held a ball of yarn, and while holding a piece of the yarn, tossed it to someone else. They would then tell the person what they liked about them and what makes them special. This game went on for awhile, and after alot of tangles and some confusion, we finally formed a web, linking our community to one another.
- Our next meeting is next Sunday, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. Next week’s meeting topic is Abuse.
- We want to say Thank You to everyone who has been involved in our events the last few weeks. Our group has been very busy with the AFSP Walk and Living Your Story and we appreciate all of the hard work everyone has put into the events to make them such a success.
- Next Monday, Oct. 24, we’re hosting a Halloween Fashion Show and Dance Party in the Student Life Lounge at 8 pm. If you’re interested in being a model for the fashion show, please let Erin know a.s.a.p.
- We’re looking for meeting/activity ideas. We’d love to hear from you if you have an idea.