Now that I’m a little more awake and composed, I want to say a few things in light of the Nobuhiro Watsuki scandal.
To Rurouni Kenshin fans:
- Don’t blame yourself. It’s ok to be shocked, it’s ok to have been completely blindsided by this. This isn’t anyone’s fault, and none of us could have known about it beforehand; I know a lot of nasty, manipulative people on Tumblr like to say “Ha, I can’t believe their fans didn’t see this coming, lmaooooo” when celebrities turn out to be bad people, but don’t listen to them, because there’s no way anyone could have known about this. And considering the news only broke today, you have no reason to feel guilty for having discovered a seemingly innocent series in the past.
- It’s ok to still like RuroKen. It’s a great story that has had a lot of impact on many people’s lives, and that can be hard to let go of. The characters might have a lot of meaning to you, and that’s ok. Again, none of this is your fault. Even if the creator of something is a terrible person, that doesn’t make the people who enjoy it terrible, especially in cases like this where- as mentioned- nobody knew what was going on.
- It’s also ok to be unable to continue liking RuroKen. It’s ok if you can’t bring yourself to divorce the work from the creator, and it’s ok if you can’t enjoy it in good conscience. That’s perfectly reasonable Just don’t harass those who do continue to enjoy it, ok?
- Whatever you decide to do regarding RuroKen in the future, it might take a while to recover from this news. It’s hard to process, I know, and it’s hard to know what to do or feel in a situation like this. Whatever you’re feeling, it’s ok. It’s ok to be angry, or sad, or guilty, or to feel nothing at all, and it’s ok to want to take a break from everything. Give yourself time to think this through; You don’t have to make any major decisions right away.
To people who aren’t Rurouni Kenshin fans:
- Please don’t harass RuroKen fans. Nobody could have seen this coming, and nobody is to blame. We’re as shocked as you are. This is a fairly new development and there is literally no way someone could be a “bad person” for having gotten into a series before it was discovered that the author was an awful human being, so please don’t get angry at anyone. A lot of fans are already upset and feeling guilty as it is.
- Yes, some people may continue liking the series, or be unsure of how to react to the news. Again, nobody knew about any of this up until now, and RuroKen is a series that has meant a lot to many people. When a series has changed your life and had a deep emotional impact on you, that’s something you can’t really let go of instantly. Liking the story does not mean someone condones Watsuki’s actions, so leave them be.
- I’m serious, don’t go harassing fans. Everyone is already upset and having a hard time, so don’t be a dick.