10 Things to learn to improve your tumblr experience.
1. Learn to post for yourself, and only for yourself. It doesn’t help anyone when you only post and reblog things because they are popular at the time. You may think people won’t notice, but your followers do. Never lie to yourself. Your blog is your own. Use it.
2. Learn that not every fight must be fought. Sometimes it’s easier to just step away from a problem that triggers you too much - and that’s absolutely okay. You don’t have to fight things that you don’t feel comfortable to fight. You are allowed to step away.
3. Learn that you cannot please everyone. As soon as you start to put yourself out there people will come at you. It doesn’t matter if you’re trying to be the nicest, informed, and open-minded towards everyone. You will always offend someone. When someone searches for something to attack you, let me tell you they will find something. You have to accept that not everyone can be pleased. It’s hard, but it’s reality.
4. Learn to ignore anon hate or hate in general. People who want to hate you will hate you. You cannot do anything against it. Breath. Delete. Go on. Those people are not worth your time.
5. Learn that it is okay to click away. Tumblr is loud about voicing opinions, shipping and social justice. Sometimes from people who are not as educated as they try to give the impression and search for any little nag to push limits. Don’t start a fight. It won’t do anything good here on tumblr. If you feel the need to do something against social injustice go out and do it yourself. Don’t do it behind a screen. It leads to nothing except hate and venom and people trying to gut each other out. If you read something that just riles you really up - be it about a series or a pairing or something social or whatever - just click away. It brings nothing. You will only feel more angered when the person answers and it will go back and forth and back and forth and - time you could use to do something else more productively. And with less stress.
6. Learn that your opinion =/= the opinion of someone else. You might like x pairing, while someone else thinks it is disgusting. Or the other way around. Learn to accept these things and leave it be. What good does it bring to try and force your opinion onto someone else? You’re not a dictator. Everyone is free to have their own opinion. Just like yourself.
7. Learn to respect people. Learn to respect artists and writers and - yes - edit makers too. Some people sit hours before their screens to produce something. They don’t write/draw/do edits for you - they share their stuff with you. If it is something you don’t like, just ignore it. Never tell them what they did wrong in your opinion - remember point 6. Your opinion is not theirs.
8. Learn that attacking someone =/= educating someone. If someone doesn’t know something or said something harmful in a post, don’t attack them immediately. Often these people are just not educated about the subject. Going into their askbox and leaving hateful, sometimes vile messages and calling them names or even threatening them will lead to nothing. If you really want to reach out to them try to send a polite message. Check their age. Most people who react like this are surprisingly young. If they block off and don’t want to be educated, no matter their age, there’s nothing you can do. Swallow your anger and click away. It’s not worth it. The real world still waits for you after you log off and hating on a stranger brings you nothing.
9. Learn that no one is perfect. Definitely not you. People make mistakes. Learn to forgive and move on. Holding a grudge brings only sorrow and misery.
10. Learn that tumblr is not the world. The real world is so much worse. Try to enjoy your time here instead of letting it ruin you.
For several years, the Tumblr help docs have mirrored the Tumblr experience: clean and simple. And that was fine. But as we’ve added features and choices and compatibility and complexity, the whole Tumblr experience has gotten richer and it feels like our documentation should reflect that too.
@staff what are you going to do about these spam porn blogs. I really am tired of seeing them reblog my work with links to nasty shit. I know I’m not the only one experiencing this. Pull your shit together
Social Pro Daily at Adweek Shares Tumblr’s Three Pillars “Tumblr is dedicated to realizing the most radical, founding principles of Internet culture: individuality, freedom of expression, and human connection.”
“Individuality: You have the freedom to be who you are, discover who you are, and determine who you are.”
“Freedom of expression: You have the freedom to say what you want, look how you want, and love what you want.”
“Human connection: You have the freedom to be among people who inspire you, to be moved by each other’s ideas, to be accepted and loved.”
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE A YAHOO EMAIL ADDRESS FOR NEW TUMBLR BLOGS
If anyone has tried to make a new blog recently (assuming since Yahoo bought Tumblr) you’ve probably noticed that you’re taken to a page that looks like this, no matter what email service you typed in for the new blog:
IMPORTANT: you can use GMAIL when signing up. The top of this page (which isn’t in the clip cause size) may have the Yahoo logo but you are signing up for TUMBLR. A lot of people, myself included, use GMAIL simply because you can have multiple main blogs on the same email, by doing this:
so on and so forth
And by doing that, all the tumblr emails go to ONE email:
firstname.lastname@example.org (in the header of the email it will have the full email of with blog the email regards).
Anyway, if you wish to use Gmail (or any other service other than Yahoo) simply put your email and age in. The age is required but then again Tumblr’s always required age. Afterward you’re taken to this page:
This is where you choose your URL. And then from here on out, it’s the same as before. The only difference is when you log in, every time, to a blog that’s been recently created. It will as for you email, take you to a similar page as the first one above. Just click next and put in your password and click sign in. It’s basically advertising Yahoo but you are not required to use Yahoo to use Tumblr.
I DONT WANT THIS FUCKING SHIT ON MY DASH!
Tumblr is my SAFE PLACE where I am slowly accepting myself and my body. And I follow a lot of body positive blogs. But THIS FUCKING ADD is ruining my entire progress!!! It is so triggering! Tumblr staff please pick some other add because this is triggering as hell. And I can’t go on tumblr without feeling horrible about myself.
@staff I would like if I can reblog things responding with pictures, but I can’t. I can only post a picture once and can’t chain them with more pictures. I would like this to be the next update please since all I have is my phone.
If anyone wants this to happen please like reblog so the tumblr peeps can see. Tank you.
@staff I will literally pay you to keep these fat phobic ads off my dash and off my blog. Want to start a paid subscriber service? Fine. Want to customize ads? I will fill that out so fast your head will spin.
Assuming you are completely ignorant of your user base, I’ll offer you that you have multiple recovery communities on your site that would find this extremely upsetting, at the very least. It’s bad enough that as someone who writes about ED recovery, your algorithm is constantly offering me pro-ana blogs to follow. I can choose, however, not to view that content. Ads however appear regardless.
So the porn blogs are taking it to a whole new level, going around and commenting on random posts to advertise their blogs…ugh, it’s so annoying. Fucking stay away from my posts!!! I put too much time and work into them to end up seeing a comment “guys, check out how I’m masturbating on camera!” Tumblr seriously needs to do something to stop them!
~happy birthday tumblr @staff ~ 🎊🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎁🎁🎇🎇🎆🎂🎆🎊🎉🎀🎁🎊🎇🎆
Thank you for allowing us to live through fantasy , thank you for making us live through our fandoms memories , thank you for encouraging us , teaching us , and showing us that being weird , being awkward , having no friends ! You still belong , and as long as this website remain , no one is left out 💓💘 spread love and joy
And remember , you belong with us
Tumblr you gave me confetti and now it time for yours 💞💝✋👏
@staff welp I guess I can’t click on anything, view my own blog, or make any posts (I had to make this blurb on mobile), and my dash only let’s me see 5 posts at a time… Doing a brilliant job today #sarcasm