so i did a thing last weekend before the thing with my dog happened. basically took a look at the list of djinn that only appeared in the GBA games and decided to give them the Dark Dawn treatment and give them unique designs. a lot of the DD djinn designs are kind of based on their japanese names, and for the most part that’s what i did with these, unless the english name was easier to conceptualize
- echo/duo is kind of based on a bat? ‘cuz bats use ECHOlocation ha ha ha shoot me.
- mud is melting and looks like a mud monster
- bane/bulb. “bane” is a bit of a hard idea to design around. it’s basically defined as “something that causes a lot of distress and annoyance”. so i went with “bulb” and turned it into a little tulip bulb
- mold/deku is based on a clay vase, cuz u MOLD clay. “deku” is defined as a sort of wooden puppet, but gears/doll already went with the doll design so i was kind of stuck with the english name.
- meld/convoy is supposed to look like. two djinn merging together i guess? meld’s gimmick is that the team member who summons it and the team member with the highest attack rating (or second highest if the actual highest is the one summoning) land a “team strike” on an enemy, so the design is supposed to be like, a melding of minds or whatever. this was hard and weird to work with.
- iron is supposed to look like they’re wearing a lil suit of armor.
- petra is designed after some of the columns from the actual site of petra in jordan
- crystal/maman is sort of supposed to invoke like, a sense of motherly love? they’re supposed to look very soft and loving, and ended up kind of looking like a chansey