“The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.”
“I tried calling you tonight but I couldn’t remember the last four digits of your number. I even laughed at how foolish it seems that even now, you are still the only one I want to call. Even after everything, even after all the fucked up shit you said and even after all the hurt you caused. Sometimes I sit here and ask myself, after everything- why you? I guess it’s you because I loved you like hell, and because I still love you now. But I guess it’s a little different this time. I can love you without saying it. I can love you without seeing you and I’m okay without you. I can stand under the sky and not think that somewhere you are there too. So I’ll say ‘fuck yeah’ when they ask me if I still love you because that’s the fucking truth, regardless of whether or not you want to accept it. That’s my truth, and it’s okay if it’s not yours. I’ve learned that it’s not about whether the love you give is reciprocated but it’s about the quality of the love you’re giving and I’m suddenly proud as hell for being able to love you, like this- even after everything. Even now.”
In this theory I will tackle who Uber A is, who Charles is, who Varjak is, the Audrey Hepburn connections, who redcoat/black veil is, basically every question you have… I’m answering it in this post. If I can’t convince you who A is in this post, there’s no way to convince someone.
*Warning everyone ahead of time that tumblr wont attach the videos I uploaded, so I gave you guys youtube links to see the clips.
Charles is not Wren, nor Jason, nor is he Ted, Noel, Lucas, Andrew, or Ezra and here’s why:
Wren: Oh dear Wren, I’m going to make this one short, sweet, and to the point. Wren isn’t A, he never was, never will be and here’s why: The actor who plays Wren (Julian Morris) has been working on other projects since the filming of S6 began and even before that. He says he misses the cast, and it was also confirmed by @thatswhatAsaid that he hasn’t been on set. And, since Marlene has said that they made the hoodie extra large because they’re filming with the actual ACTOR now, purely by that he isn’t A. But, since I know most of the Wren is A people out there won’t accept that as an answer, here’s some more evidence that Wren isn’t A… 1. He’s been with Melissa in England since season 4. We literally haven’t seen him since, and we can confirm he was with Melissa because in 5x21 Veronica called him in the episode to set up meetings with Spencer at Oxford, which she attends. He’s also flatmates with Colin and Melissa, which were also confirmed. Now, was he ever on the A team? Quite possible, because we actually know how he helped them. In season 4 it was revealed that he and Shana were connected somehow, he was also seen talking on the phone with someone saying “You take care of yours and I’ll take care of mine.” But here’s the thing, look at what what was happening around everyone, the past people that either helped A somehow, or crossed them in some way, either ended up run out of town or dead. Shana was a target because she was protecting Jenna from “A” (which I WILL come back to) and Wren and Melissa were both A’s target. Both Melissa and Wren did things for A and then they wanted OUT, this is mostly evident with Mona and Wren’s conversation in Radley. Wren asks how Mona feels about a picture and she just keeps brushing him off, Wren asks her why she stopped being honest with him, Mona replies by saying “That was before I realized where your loyalties were.” At this point, Mona had flipped sides, she was now on the liars team, and she knew Wren was helping “A” somehow, giving them access to Radley etc. and then… Poof. Hasn’t been seen since.
Jason: This one is even easier to disprove. In the Season 5 ending, we see a video of Jessica holding a baby girl… She says to one of the boys “Want to Kiss your sister? Good boy, good boys” Now… In all Jason is A theories, Jason and Charles are twins. These boys are not identical twins. At all. Jason is Jason and Charles is Charles, he wasn’t murdered and switched at the hospital, he doesn’t have an angry twin out there somewhere. It’s also worth pointing out, Jason was tormented by A along with the girls i.e. getting dropped down a freaking elevator shaft, coming home and having booze cover his entire yard, and A made it even LOOK like Jason was A… Why the hell would he make himself look like A if he’s A… Also worth mentioning he had a reward out for information about Alison’s body, which A cashed in… To make the dollhouse. He was also Passed out drunk/high the night everything went down on Labor Day.Also, Drew Van Aker has been filming with the whole crew, including Keegan, Ashley, and Alison… Running AWAY from A in a car together (which I think was on snapchat? Someone can back me up on this one). So… Jason? Not “A” material.
Ezra: Easy enough to disprove… He was with the other bed buddies quite literally the entire time A was doing their thing. Oh, and Marlene said you would know if the liars or their bed buddies were A by the series finale. Ezra? Not A.
Lucas: According to the video in the vault… Assuming one of the boys is Jason, and the baby is Alison. Lucas isn’t even near the age that Jason or Charles would be. Not only that, but Lucas hated Alison, not the rest of the girls Lucas? Not A.
Ted: Come on people… I know PLL may be confusing, but seriously this one may be more than a stretch than the Tippi the Bird is A theories. The whole anagram thing with the “Run Ali Ted is A” or something, do you guys know how many things you could spell out with Charles DiLaurentis? I’ll make this one simple too- In the season 3 Halloween episode, he was at home with Ashley all night while A murdered Garrett, planted Bethany’s dead body, and all around wreaked havoc on the girls in the Halloween train. That and there’s literally no motive. Does he even know the rest of the girls? Did he know Alison? Pastor Ted is a cool dude… But definitely not A.
Noel: Also simple, same age as the girls and went to school with them long term… He helped Alison, doesn’t hate the girls, and has no motive. He also helped the girls figure out what happened to Maya after she went missing/murdered. So, Noel… You are NOT the A. (Try to say that in the “You are NOT the father” voice :D)
Andrew: Ahh the classic red herring… Simply put, while the girls were in the dollhouse old Andrew was tapping into Veronica’s calls at the Brew. He’s also the same age as the girls, so therefore disqualifying him from being Charles. But, I think he DOES have something going on, but it isn’t A related… It’s family related. The set decorater recently uploaded this photo… The DiLaurentis family own Andrew’s family farm, so he’s trying to get dirt on the DiLaurentis family, etc. and trying to get his family orchard back. Andrew? Sorry dude… Not A. (Although I will bet you a million dollars theyre going to make him look like A the minute Season 6 starts. Mark my words.)
And, just for the hell of it…. Toby, Caleb, Veronica, Peter, Ezra, and Andrew were seen together at the same time, Melissa was talking on the phone with Veronica so it disproves her as A, Alison is in Jail. And we’ve already been through the shit with Byron, it was disproved. Kenneth DiLaurentis is a freaking pitbull to anyone who even gets near Alison, not to mention he’s not even seen in almost the entire series, he just showed up when Alison was revealed to be alive. And I mean, the Fields are MIA pretty much all the time and A crashed a car through Emily’s house while Pam was in it. Ella got attacked by bees, poor Ashley Marin has been framed for murder and had to deal with Wilden, and don’t get me freaking started on what A has done to Jenna Marshall… Paige was already an A suspect, but she was being framed the entire time by Mona and Toby for Spencer to think she was A, she’s also in California. Eddie Lamb and Cyrus are probably as good as dead by now for what they gave up about A and what they know.
So, now we run into a problem because… Wilden, Ian, Garrett, Shana, Maya, Jessica, Wren, Jason, Andrew, Lucas, Ezra, Caleb, Toby, Paige, Peter, Kenneth, Byron, Ted, Wayne, Emily, Spencer, Aria, Mona, Alison, Hanna, Pam, Ashley, Ella, Veronica, Jenna, Noel, Melissa, Eddie, Mike, and Cyrus.
Ladies and gentleman, Charles is not a character we know. Probably because, he’s dead. D-E-A-D dead. When Marlene says “Charles is A” she’s kind of toying with people, he isn’t technically A, but he IS one of the main reasons for A being A. In true Marlene King fashion, she’s telling us part of the truth… But not the WHOLE truth. Now, above you… I just basically debunked every theory possible about a PLL character, all… Except one. Cece Drake.
I think all of us know deep down A was always a woman. As Noel put it, “Guys have a fight, there’s a punch, it’s over. Girls don’t fight fair. They gang up, keep secrets, plot. They can cut you down with a look.” On the show, it was said and proved over, and over, and over, and over… A was a woman. The red coat, black veil, etc. even Mona said in the lodge fire, “I’ll never know who SHE was.”
I mean literally over…
Now, lets start at the (sort of) beginning… With Mona the “Original A” she was never THE A. Mona said she did it because the liars were taking Hanna away from her… I’m sorry but Hanna and Mona didn’t become friends until AFTER Alison disappeared. Mona saw something that someone was doing and wanted to do it too, and when THE A came back and stole the game from her, it was no longer Mona’s game. In fact, there was a moment in the season 2 finale that stuck out to me. When Mona fell off the cliff, failing to get Spencer on the A team, they descover that she’s alive and her watch goes off. It’s a very symbolic scene because that was the moment the game changed, her time as A was over.
Now, in season 2… They were introducing the character of Vivian Darkbloom, aka Alison/Cece’s disguise. Here’s the funny thing, Cece was there, they were slowly introducing THE A to us without even knowing it. Case and point, the phone number they found in the red coat. And even more telling, this scene in the 2x25 ending.
Now, that lady descending down the stairs in a full red dress and mask in TOTAL focus of the camera was 100% put there for a reason… And ready to blow your minds here? 5x25 an 2x25 parallel.
Also, if you listen to Mona’s monologue in the 2x25 finale… It’s two entirely different people talking:
“I know they’re watching me. I don’t look bad considering. I like this lipstick, what’s it called? toffee Tango?”
“They think it’s over, loser Mona’s going to the nuthouse and those precious liars are going home to sleep with their windows open and their doors unlocked. Don’t they know that’s what we want?”
It goes from first person to third person and there’s a sudden voice change RIGHT when the conversations change.
Now, if you want more proof that Cece/Red Coat/Black Veil was introduced in season 2 and going on into season 3, you can read that here:
But, if all of that doesn’t convince you Cece Drake is, was, and always will be big A. Take these things into consideration:
1. Cece Drake came into the show knowing literally everyone and everything… And everything about everyone. The first CONVERSATION she has involves dolls, Melissa, the Liars, and a freaking quote Alison said to Hanna in the hospital… Not to mention she’s quite literally WEARING THE GRAVE SITE AROUND HER NECK IN THE FIRST SCENE. Oh and conveniently, she knew about Hanna’s shoplifting problem… Which not even Alison knew because she disappeared when they started.
Now, lets count the things we know for certain about miss Drake, shall we?
2. She knew Alison was alive the entire time and proceeded to lie about it to everyone, saying Wilden killed her, giving Spencer’s name to Holbrook who in turn let her escape. Yeah, him going all creepernova just so happened to be quite LITERALLY after he talked to Cece. He also just happened to fall into a bunch of photos of Alison being Alive in Ravenswood after Cece conveniently just says “Alison, she’s alive. And I can prove it.” Cece just sold Alison out, with physical proof, while saying she killed Wilden, and told Holbrook that Spencer killed Bethany. You. Can’t. Make. This. Shit. Up.
3. She was a master manipulator, using Paige and Alison’s history to make Spencer and the girls think she was A. Now, isn’t it so hilariously convenient that Cece would mention this RIGHT when Mona and Toby just so happened to be framing Paige as A under the direction of Redcoat?
4. Knew about the NAT club and what they were doing and what they were filming (dont you just love how the whole NAT club is dead and Jason and Emily almost died down an elevvator shaft the minute they found the photo of WIlden, Ali, and Cece, therefore proving Cece was lying about not knowing Wilden?)
5. This is probably one of my favorite Cece scenes because of the context… The things that stick out the most? “No one knew she was…” Dead” um yes honey, you knew she wasn’t dead, you knoew the whole damn time.
And then the bombshell:
“It didn’t help that you broke up with me the next day” –J
“I had my reasons.” –C
“Care to explain?”-J
“I really don’t think you want me to do that” –C
So, Cece just happened to break up with Jason unexpectedly
the day after Alison went missing (and the day Sara Harvey was abducted) and
then all of a sudden… Like a magician (see what I did there?)… Uber A disappears
and Mona took over as A the year after. Then suddenly, the minute the girls
find the red coat in season 2, it begins.
Uber A makes arrangements to come back and Red Coat arrives in all her
glory to steal the game back in season 3. Conveniently, in season 3 someone
else came back to Rosewood abruptly for no reason whatsoever, Cece Drake.
It’s also worth mentioning again how this means Jason isn’t A, just from the scene alone where he’s fighting with the person who he paid 50k to give him info on Alison’s body whereabouts that A stole (with Mona’s help). He thought Ali was dead, he thought her body was stolen, and he was still struggling with her “death”
6. Cece has a thing about masks… I mean she REALLY has a thing about masks…
It’s oddly convenient that Cece and A are the only ones who have been shown to have Alison masks. And when you think about it, who the hell did Ali do that mask thing for?
7. Redcoat/Black Veil okay, there has been so much confusion with the red coat and black veil thing. I’m going to make this nice and easy for you. They’re the same person. Same person, different alias/different disguise. Red Coat stole the game from Mona at the end of 2x25 when Mona first got into Radley. She says to the red coated figure “I did Everything you asked me to”
Now… Later on in season 4x01 when Mona told the girls she saw Cece and thought it was Alison and she couldn’t remember what they talked about because they changed her meds, Marlene says Cece was never there and Mona imagined it. I call complete bullshit because of the things that happened in 3x23… Wren finds Spencer in the childrens ward of Radley and he sees that she found Cece’s and Mona’s visitors pass. Wren authorized the pass Cece had, saying he was almost suspended for it, Cece was apparently desperate to see Mona and Cece told him that she could help Mona heal because she went through the same sort of thing with Alison getting her kicked out of UPenn and came out the other side. Read that again. Alison, whom Cece basically has “protected” and “helped” since forever, was the one who hcaused her to have a mental breakdown… Which is confirmed ALSO in the episode 4x10 when Aria went to meet with Cece’s roomate. Somehow, the roomate knew exactly who Aria was, saying Cece hated them all for their part in getting her kicked out of UPenn, saying it stayed pretty fresh in Cece’s mind.
From everything we’ve seen of Cece, they contradict. what she acts like is not what she thinks like. Except when threatening people, like in 3x07 when she threatened to claw Jenna’s eyes out, knowing very well Jenna was in fact blind before, or going straight for Jason’s weakness; his drinking.
8. Now, this is something I think people are going to enjoy a lot. A has a pattern, yes, a pattern. Hitting people on the back of the head. I will list the number of people hit on the back of the head: Alison, Bethany, Jenna, Toby, Hanna, Shana, Officer Barry Maple… Speaking of Jenna, Shana, and Officer Maple, in 5x01 Holbrook reveals that Cece escaped custody and officer Barry was found knocked unconscious on the side of the road and escaped. And as for Jenna, well… In 4x09 Jenna was hit on the back of the head and almost drowned. Conveniently, when Spencer asks Shana who Jenna is afraid of, she replies “Cece Drake” you know what else is convenient? This look Cece gave Jenna when Spencer was playing truth in the exact same episode before she was bashed over the head.
9. Audrey Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn references EVERYWHERE. Lets start with a NEW Audrey Hepburn movie that was actually referenced in season 3, before Holly Golightly/Varjak was even mentioned. Remember that anklet Alison had on in 3x06? The one Spencer and Jason find at April Rose antiques? So, there’s an old Audrey Hepburn film called “Love in the Afternoon” well, here. I’ll let the scene talk for itself:
Now, in the PLL version, Spencer has a flashback of her and Alison talking. Spencer notices the anklet and asks if it was from one of her nameless boyfriends, Alison replies “no” and says it’s from a friend. When Spencer asks which friend, Alison coyly replies “You don’t know her”
Now, onto Holly Varjak, Cece was literally dressed EXACTLY like Holly Golightly (Varjak) when she left for Paris… As Vivian Darkbloom.
In the Audrey Hepburn references they make, such as “My Fair Lady” (I’m a good girl, I am) “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (Holly Varjak/Golightly), and “Love in the Afternoon” (Anklet) Audrey is a somewhat promiscuous character who is being molded by a more powerful character in the story lines, they mold Audrey into what they want Audrey to be. Just like what Cece was doing to Alison. Alison didn’t even KNOW about the Varjak passports or who Varjak was. Speaking of Cece leaving, it brings me to my next point.
10. Cece knows all things French, she can speak it, act it, and apparently she’s an Edith Piaf fan, evident by her very dramatic depatrure in 5x01 while she was in the airport, dressed as Holly Golightly/Varjak… While an Edith Piaf song plays… as she speaks fluent French…. And not just ANY Edith Piaf song, “Non je ne Regrette Rien” roughly translated it means “No, I regret Nothing”. Why would they play this song as she’s leaving… Really, why? Oh and heads up, when Cece left, there was NO A ENDINGS FOR 5 WHOLE EPISODES. Varjak and Piaf go together. Every time. Just like when Emily found the number on the pizza box at the Varjak house and called it, the caller on the other side played Edith Piafs “Sous le ciel de Paris”
11. Cece’s literal JOB was dressing people up in a boutique like dolls, and she enjoyed it entirely too much. Not to mention, Spencer was attacked by a snake, convenienlty while Cece went to “check on things”. Paige was also framed in the boutique because someone slipped Maya’s earring into her bag, because I mean whay the hell not? She already has Spencer where she wanted her, telling her that Paige and Alison faught and painting a bad picture of Paige.
12. The girl was seriously getting money from everywhere, and when she wasn’t talking about it, she was making plans to get it. Hence the fashion show that she put together, and also the fact that Ezra was paying her literally thousandsof dollars for information on Alison (revealed in “Now You See Me, Now You Don’t). Information that got Ezra nowhere with because Cece was controlling everything Ezra knew did and din’t know. They made it an actual point to show that Cece needed “serious cash” as she put it. Cash for, I don’t know, building a dollhouse for a year or so? And if you want my honest opinion, I think she got Mona or Toby to retrieve the 50k that Jason was offering for information on Alison’s remains.
13. Alison has always been Cece’s favorite. No other character on the entire show could say that about Alison. She also has a love/hate relationship with her, just like A does. She tortures Alison, but Alison is still her favorite, even after Ali got her kicked out of UPenn and god knows whatever else.
14. She has: A black hoodie, black leather gloves, and boots. (Which STILL HASNT BEEN EXPLAINED BTW!)
A Red Coat and Alison mask.
And then… We’ve got episode 3x03… Red Coat BUYING black hoodies and gloves for a team.
15. Mrs. DiLaurentis, poor Mrs. DiLaurentis. Okay, this one isn’t as complicated as everyone thinks it is. Okay so I need to list you a few things that happened leading up to 4x24 when Mrs. D inevitably dies. 1. In the episode “unbridled” 4x23 Mrs. D has bought clothes for someone from Neilan’s department store (the same one from the yellow tops and oh so conveniently the name of the “lawyer” that A hired to fake out the girls?) and later during the episode, Mrs. D hands off a suitcase to someone in the woods. Spencer sees this and follows, soon enough she follows who she thinks is A into the woods, but that A did NOT have a suitcase. So, there were two out that night. One was Cece, the other was Shana. You know how I know? Cece is seen in the very next episode in the exact shirt that Mrs. DiLaurentis bought her and she’s arrested for the murder of Wilden. Someone turned her in… Shana. Shana witnessed Cece shooting Wilden, and that is backed up by Travis’ testimony. Now, in 4x24 as Cece is being led out in handcuffs, Jessica and Cece exchange looks… They look like both of them are hiding something. Jessica finds out that Alison is alive. That’s not good for Cece. Hence the “I can’t protect you anymore” email that Jessica was going to send to someone. Now, how do I know that was meant for Cece? Because it was meant for the person who forced Jessica to bury Alison. When Cece hit Alison, Jessica rushed out, Cece then forced her into burying Alison, all while saying “What have you done” over and over. Jessica, should she ever rat Cece out, would be taken down with the ship as well. Jessica buried Alison alive, the MINUTE Jessica was told that Alison was alive, that was the moment she was off the hook. But, Cece was on it, Cece was the one who hit Ali over the head, and Jessica was going to exose her for what she did. Another thing, Alison gets a text video from A saying “I buried her the same way I watched her bury you” with a video of A filling up Jessica’s grave. So, whoever hit Alison, killed and buried Jessica. And if it were Jason, why the ever living hell would Jessica protect him, causing him to murder her to keep quiet about it? You don’t say “Oh, my son accidentally hit and made me bury his sister so naturally when I find out my daughter is alive, I will rat them out after protecting them for this long.” No. Nope, no, nien, niet. She was being blackmailed.
16. Mona… Ahhh Mona, my favorite pseudo-psychopath and Alison doppleganger at the moment. Mona had a plan for trapping A, the mistake was underestimating A. First rule of PLL, you DO NOT understimate A. The minute Mona switched sides in the fire at the Lodge, she was a target for A, if there’s anything on this show you don’t want to do, it’s get in A’s way. Hence why she tortured and almost killed Hanna by leaving her in the fire (now that red coat blow torch scene makes sense, right?) A knew all about Mona’s little plan to “trap” A. And there’s the thing everyone pointed out, in the 5x12 finale, you can tell that theer’s a real blonde and a fake blonde going up the stairs. The fake blonde was the set up for the cameras, I think the real blonde slipped Mona something to go into a coma-like state and kidnapped her after the entire thing happened. Cece (or Varjak/A/whatever) calls Cyrus to tell Ali to meet him in the woods, which he never shows. Ali waits for housrs alone and when she gets back she realizes Mona was “murdered” A told Cyrus to ask Ali in the middle of nowhere because she needed to give Alison absolutely NO alibi when the police ask her about where she was when Mona was muredered. And, it works.
17. Cece is connected to every freaking event in the show, from the lodge fire, killing wilden, labor day weekend, Vivian Darkbloom, the first secret, the passports, Radley, Jessica, Alison’s dissapearance, Paige and Alison’s fight, Ezra being A, Mona being A, Spencer’s snake incident, if you think of an event… You can pin Cece to it in one or two steps. And, she was in the pilot, but not in the way you think she was, she was actually added INTO the pilot from Jason remembering he saw Cece that night, so she WAS there, but she was there in context. Which makes sense considering when the pilot episode aired, Marlene didn’t even THINK of big A yet, you cant time travel and add a character and a story line that didn’t exist yet, but what you CAN do is use flashbacks. Even Cece herself said she was there and met with Melissa, but she LIED when she said she talked to Alison after because Alison was hit over the head after Melissa and Cece’s little talk. Oh, and Jason was just dropped down the elevator shaft the minute after he said Cece was there that night Ali went missing and after they discovered Cece knew Wilden. Which she lied about, again. While at the same time, she left Wesley and Aria at the boutique for literally hours, when Aria gets a phone call from Cece she’s sitting in her car, yet she tells Aria she got her car towed. The same. Time. As. The. Elevator. Accident.
Now, this is the tricky part. Cece has to somehow beconnected to Marion, Bethany, Charles, and Sara as well. Something that always stood out to me is exactly A’s relation to Marion and Toby, A actually HELPS Toby to find out what happened to his mother in Radley. Now, you wanna hear something funny? Cece is the only character on the show other than Mona and Spencer who was actually ever admitted into Radley and is still living. Ever. Marion and Bethany are dead. If you want my honest opinion, I think Cece knew Marion and Bethany, Bethany may have been the one to kill Marion Cavanaugh, which Wilden and Jessica proceeded to cover up. So that’s one of my thoughts, #2 I think Cece and Charles are related somehow, possibly even being a twin, they’d be the same age, both blue eyed and blonde hair. And to be honest, Charles isn’t a DiLaurentis not a full blooded one anyway. If any of you wondered why Jason didn’t have any baby pictures/pictures when Jason was little… That’s why. Charles was in it with them. I think honest to VanderJesus truth is that the DiLaurentis family had something to do with Charles’ death. So, as for Bethany and Sara, I think they were both kind of picked out by Cece to be her “Alison” Bethany was mistakenly killed, Cece picked Sara up the next day and has probably had her ever since and/or kept tabs on her and captured her (could she be this “Kimberly Brown: person that the girls find in the Dollhouse?).
Here’s to you, PLL fans. I’m going to bed and sleeping the long weekend away.