fun Penumbra name things: Mercury is god of eloquence (and therefore poetry, aka storytelling). He’s the god of luck and of thieves. And centrally, he’s a carrier of messages, the god of travelers, and a psychopomp, a guide for the souls of the dead – Mercury’s the guide-god, the guy who sets the lost back on their path and gets them there safely, which he does in both the Aeneid and the Odyssey (if you count Hermes). So it’s entirely appropriate that Mick Mercury is the one who gives Juno the verbal ass-whooping that sets him on a track towards trying to do something productive about stoppping Miasma, rather than wallowing in that weird patented stew of self-pity and self-hatred he’s got going on. And if that path leads him straight back to a certain thief, well.
neewwneewwneewwnewwnewwnewwnewnNEWWNEWNEWWWnewwnewwwnewwnewwwwwwwnewwwwwblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingbling (1 2 3) pla(4)cin a smile at the perfect eveeeent gracing your skinnn with the side of my haaand if i ever leaaave i could learn to miss youu but sentimental boy is my nom de plume (dun dun dun dun) let meeee (dun dun dun dun) save youuu (dun dun dun dun) HOLD THIS ROOOOPPPEEEE (DUN DUN DUN) I MAAAYYY NEVVERR SLEEP TONNIGGHHTTT (never sleep tonigghhtt) AS LOOONG AS YOURRREE STILLL BURRRNING BRIGGGHT (dundundun dundundun) IF IIIII COULD TRADE MISTAAAAKKEEESS FOR SHEEEEP COUNT ME AWAAAAYY BEFOREEEE YOU SLEEEP ILL STILL WAIT TIL I TRADE MY MISTAKES OR THEY FAAAAAAAADEE AWW(dun dun dun dun)WAYYY blingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingblingbling i feel marooned in this body deserted my organs can go on without meeee (ah ah ah ah) you can’t fly these wings (fly theesssee wingggsss) you can’t sleep in this box with me (ah ah ah ah) let meeee (dun dun dun dun) save youuu (dun dun dun dun) HOLD THIS ROOOOPPPEEEE (DUN DUN DUN) I MAAAYYY NEVVERR SLEEP TONNIGGHHTTT (never sleep tonigghhtt) AS LOOONG AS YOURRREE STILLL BURRRNING BRIGGGHT (dundundun dundundun) IF IIIII COULD TRADE MISTAAAAKKEEESS FOR SHEEEEP COUNT ME AWAAAAYY BEFOREEEE YOU SLEEEP ILL STILL WAIT TIL I TRADE MY MISTAKES OR THEY FAAAAAAAADEE AWW(dun dun dun dun)WAYYYDONT LETTT MEEEE SAAAVEEE YOUU HOLD THIISSS ROPE AND ILL PULL YOU IN CAUSE IIII AMM AN AANNCHHOORR SAVE HER OR FEEL IT SINKIN IN LET (THIS IS ONLY THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOOOLLDD) ME SAVE YOUUUU HOLD THISSS ROOPPEE (WITH LIGHTENING IN MY HEAD TO BE BROUGHT TO THE WORLD) I AM AN ANNCHHOORR SINKKINNGG HEEEERR
(dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun) iiiii maaayyy neeeveerrr sleeep toniighhhtt as loonngg asss youu'reee still burnnning bright (DUN. DUN. DUN. DUN.) IF IIII COULD TRRADDEE MISSTAKESS FOR SHEEP COUNT ME AAWWAAYY BEFOORREE YOU SSLEEEPP (du du du du dun) ILL STILL WAIT TIL I (du du du du dun) TRADE MY MISTAKES OR THEY FAAADEEE AWAAAAAYYYYYY neewwneewwneewwnewwnewwnewwnewnNEWWNEWNEWWWnewwnewwwnewwnewwwwwwwnewwwww
Explanation: So, the first thing that comes to mind for me is the pure ‘aesthetic’ of the album. The classy / pop / sultry sound and poetic lyrics just give me his vibe. (I could on about the strings for ages but I will spear your time.)
But the style of it all! The way the music flows with such a niche of personality. It’s just so fitting of Dark! You feel like withered black rose petals are left in a trial. You can just feel the darker undertones under the idea of romance.
– “I was fine, just a guy living on my own, waiting for the sky to fall. Then you called and changed it all, doll. Velvet lips and the eyes to pull me in, we both know you’d already win. Mm, you’re original sin.”
– “Does she know that my destiny lies with her? Oh, Sarah, are you saving me?”
– “You fooled me once with your eyes now, honey. You fooled me twice with your lies.”
– “I am a disappearing act done poorly but if I ever get it right, you will miss me sorely. I look like the cat that just ate the canary, coughing up feathers. There is a “get out of jail” card if I can think of something clever.”
– “I plead the fifth on all of this.”
– “My emerald city, downtown girl. In the sickness of you, I am just a white blood cell fighting like hell for you.”
– “Oh, I am just a crook, with no intent or stash, pour gasoline on the vault just to burn the cash. I swear to God, I would never heard a better sound coming out then when you are whimpering my name from your mouth.”
– “I have got an insatiable desire for your insides. It is undeniable, I will conspire and pull against your body tonight.”