Hi!! have you seen Mark's tweets about Fitzsimmons? what are your thoughts?
Anonymous said: Don’t know if you have a Twitter but Mark, the man who does the VFX work of shield was saying that Aida didn’t manipulate Fitz in any other way than fixing his one regret. Do you feel like that came across in the storytelling, because I know you think he had been brainwashed, what gave you that impression over this is who Fitz is with this kind of influence? As opposed to no he has clearly been tampered with on a larger scale?
Anonymous said: Kolpack’s responses to fans on twitter is not inspiring confidence. He agrees that evil was always within him and it was the ‘real’ Fitz in the framework - making Fitz in the real world justifiable in his feelings of complicity. Kolpack also states that Aida did not program him to love her, he fell in love with her because of who he is in the framework. She did not ‘brainwash’ him - he had a choice. How have the writers not maliciously destroyed the original character?
Well Mark certainly has been busy tonight! And its going to totally look like I’m cherry picking what tweets I like and don’t I’m really not because there are three major areas that he focused on in is impromptu Q&A session there.
- Framework Fitz
And no one is worried about what he’s said FX wise (though cutting it a bit close on 21 there!). And he is SUPER excited for Tuesday so YAY!?! But I”m sure at least part of that is Ghost Rider’s epic return near the closing moments of the episode too.
First we’ll start with Fitzsimmons. Mark was very kind tonight with his responses and addressing some of the fandoms fears, concerns, and complains even. He (and I’m sure everyone else) are very aware that the Fitzsimmons fandom is frustrated…oh so frustrated and upset right now. As fantastic as this arc has been is been very difficult on them. I’m there too guys. I love the arc but I am beyond ready to have them back together. For now I’ll settle for Fitz being himself again…even if he’s still Ophelia’s hostage. Mark is telling us to hang in there, it will be worth it, that there is a light. And I believe him. He’s on set, he’s seen/read the scripts. He knows what happened. So yes, hang tight guys we’re ALMOST THERE.
Then there is the other stuff…
And I promise I’m not cherry picking what I do and don’t like in his tweets, but I do disagree with his interpretation of what happened with Fitz in the Framework. Because like I said he’s on set, seen/read the scripts, so how he sees Framework Fitz is HIS interpretation of it, just as my metas are mine. And I politely and respectfully disagree with Mark.
Not only are my theories and metas on the subject my own interpretation based on what I’ve seen and read but its also based on what we have heard Iain say. And Iain is the one who sat down with the writers and executive producers when they were getting him ready for this arc.
Its not the obvious brainwashing of Hive but he was still manipulated in a mind boggling manner by AIDA to get him right where he wanted him.
- In 19 Radcliffe said that AIDA changed Papa Fitz so that he would stick around for his son.
- I personally still don’t even feel that was a regret for Fitz and just more evidence that AIDA was manipulating the loopholes.
- It went beyond having his father in his life. It was the kind of man his father was. Controlling, abusive, harsh, taught him that love/kindness was a weakness, taught him to grab for power. ALISTAIR MADE THE DOCTOR, Fitz had no choice in the matter, he was dropped into the Avatar with his real memories repressed. Alistair told Jemma he made him. Then we throw in AIDA was directing the path ahead. Placing herself in at the right time to allow herself to take Jemma’s place at his side.
- People were REMOVED from Fitz’s life. Alistair TOOK HIM from his mother and Jemma was murdered.
- The other hostages Fixes all came later in their lives while Fitz’s was from his childhood.
- His father and then Ophelia were continuous influences on him. He was always around them.
- When Fitz did show ‘weakness’ in his fathers eyes AKA remorse and questioning killing Agnes his father was there to re enforce the ‘programming’. When he started to get off track, his father redirected him back to AIDA’s goals.
- It was Iain that said she ‘redirected’ his love/loyalty from Jemma to Ophelia. So eyes The Doctor loved Ophelia, like Fitz loved Jemma due to when/how Ophelia placed herself in the Doctor’s life.
- Radcliffe said that AIDA had taken advantage of loopholes for herself and changed things.
- Ophelia bragged about meddling in things.
Fitz did not have a choice in any of that. As I’ve said before AIDA needed him to turn right at an intersection so she took away the left turn.
Fitz does have a choice now. He is not a bad person, a bad person wouldn’t have reacted like this when he woke up. The world they had him ‘evil’ in wasn’t real/was designed by the big bad with an evil book who needed him to do something for her. so I don’t see it as character assassination unless he makes those kinds of choices in the REAL world when he’s himself again. And he won’t, because that is not who Fitz really is.
Until canon explicitly tells me otherwise I’m sticking to my theory. I do see what was done to Fitz as a form of brainwashing and a vast amount of manipulation. That AIDA”s manipulations went well beyond simply fixing a regret, she changed things in order to get what she wanted.
The other really really crummy answer to this is that was the direction they needed the story to go. They needed Fitz to finish looking glass so went with the ‘make him evil in the alternate world route with it’. And like with 4722 hours I don’t think they imagined we would dive into it as we have…I mean really guys have you met us? Did you not see the 4575 metas we did on a freaking necklace last season? Of course we are going to dig into this!