Ways Spirits Will Manipulate You
- Disguising themselves. They may present in a way that makes you think of something or someone else! They may take the form of a different type of spirit, a deity, or even one of your family members! We’ll look at them and just assume they are what they look like. To avoid this: you can create a layer of your circle or ward that makes spirits present as they truly are.
- Taking a different name. This is similar to faces, but with names! If you ask for a deity’s presence and someone shows up, they may just say, “Yeah, sure, I’ll be whoever you want me to be, just give me that wine.” Or they may claim a popular name (”I’m Satan. I’m Julius Caesar. I’m David Bowie!”) to try and either intimidate or make you idolize them. To avoid this: assume that if it sounds too good or big to be true, it probably is. Always ask spirits for confirmation, and have THEM say who they are without you handing them the name. Especially with deities, they should have no problem just saying their names; lesser spirits may try to avoid it.
- Inflating your ego (or deflating.) You’re the chosen one. You’re a member of royalty in my realm, or could be if you do what I say. You have amazing potential and just need guidance from me. Alternatively, you’re incredibly weak. All the other spirit workers can do X. This is pointless for you unless you do what I say. They are capitalizing on your insecurities to make you feel dependent on them. To avoid this: know that you will never NEED a spirit to accomplish things. Know your strengths and weaknesses and understand they can all be improved without losing your agency.
- Trying to seem necessary. I’m your spirit guide! I’m your guardian angel. I’m the only one who holds the key to X thing. In all likelihood, whatever service they’re providing can be accomplished with someone else, if the relationship is not working or is toxic. However, a spirit will make themselves seem indispensable, if it means they can keep reaping the benefits. To avoid this: make the conditions of any agreement very clear, and reserve your right to break a contract if you need.
- Gaslighting. Sometimes spirits will just straight up lie. They may act “out of character” or show their true nature, but blame it on your imagination. They may say they “only lied to test you.” They’ll guilt trip you for thinking they might ever dare do the thing. They’ll find reasons to excuse their bad behavior instead of apologizing or, say, not behaving badly in the first place.To avoid this: know the ways people can verbally manipulate others (it is mostly the same with spirits and physical humans) and be vigilant. Call it out when you see it.