Dear YOI fandom,
I love you so much and I know that some of you are still fairly new to the figure skating world. So let me clarify some facts, especially for who want to write fanfiction about it.
The Grand Prix Final is NOT the end of the competitive season, hardly so! The season usually goes something like this:
- October to November: the Grand Prix series (Skate America, Skate Canada, Rostelecom Cup, Trophée de France, Cup of China, NHK Trophy);
- Early December: the Grand Prix Final in which compete the best 6 skaters of every discipline (Men, Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dance).
- Late December/Early January: the various national championships (Russia, U.S, Canada, Japan, etc) –> the placement of the skaters will decide who is going to represent their country in the following competitions.
- Late January: the European Championship –> ONLY european skaters can take part in this competition (it includes the russian skaters).
- February: the Four Continents Championships (4CC) –> it’s the answer to the European Championship, involving the skaters from the others continents (such as americans, canadians, the chinese, the japanese, etc).
- Late March/Early April: the World Championship –> the MOST important event of the season, expect the Olympics. This is the competition a skater really really want to win or at least medal at it.
After the Worlds, the season has officially ended!
From spring to summer the skaters are going to rest, revaluate, take part in ice shows around the world (this is when they actually earn some money, you go bb) and then prepare the new programmes for the next season.
One last thing: every 4 years are held the Winter Olympics Games, the MOST important competition in a skater’s career. If you win this, be sure that you will be remembered as one of the best ever.
Salt Lake 2002 –> Torino 2006 –> Vancouver 2010 –> Sochi 2014 –> Pyeongchang 2018.
I hope I have been helpful, take care my lovelies!