Vegan Tofu Feta and Spinach Pastry
Happy Wednesday, everyone! I can’t believe it’s been so long since I last posted a recipe! I have a really good one for you today. It’s a Greek spanakopita inspired tofu feta and spinach pastry. I don’t really feel comfortable calling it spanakopita because I used some untraditional ingredients. Feel free to used this tofu feta on any other dishes you’re making! It would go great on a salad or on a charcuterie spread!
For the tofu feta:
- 1 block extra firm tofu, diced into cubes
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 tsp basil
1) Simply combine all the ingredients in a deep tupperware and store in the fridge over night to marinate!
For the rest of the dish:
- 1 pack of Ternderflake puff pastry, thawed (or any other vegan puff pastry)
- 1 pack of spinach (roughly 11 oz)
- 1 tsp salt
- Flour for rolling out pastry
1) In a large saucepan or frying pan, cook down your spinach on medium, low heat. Add salt and 1-2 tbsp of the tofu feta marinade. This shouldn’t take long. 3-5 min max.
2) Add spinach to a large mixing bowl. Crumble tofu feta into the bowl as well. For good measure, add 2-3 tbsp of the marinade and 1 tsp of salt.
3) On a well floured surface, roll out your pastry. The tender flake comes in two rolls. Roll each one out into a square, about 15 x 15 inches (or as thin as you can without it ripping). Cut each into three strips that are 15 x 5 inches.
4) Add filling to each strip of pastry and roll into a log. Then spiral the pastry onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Don’t spiral it too tight. But not too spaced out that it’ll leave gaps once it’s done baking.
5) Continue with the rest of the pastry, and then bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until golden.