“Rest assured, you fools. Your time will come. This is only the beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a fantasy beyond your imagination.”
(He was one of us… Seifer… You’ve become just a memory. Will they… Will they talk about me this way if I die, too? Squall was this and that. Using past tense, saying whatever they want?)
“There are no guarantees in the future. That’s why TODAY, the time we have now, is important.”
“You've all grown so much… and become so strong… I have waited for this day to come. And also feared this day would come. Is today a joyous day? Or an odious day?”
“You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you’ve learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You’re the one that changes. Not the past.”
“I don’t want the future. I want the present to stand still. I want to stay here with you…”
“Reflect on your… Childhood… Your sensation… Your words… Your emotions… Time… It will not wait… No matter… …how hard you hold on. It escapes you…”
In commemoration of the fifth anniversary of the original Where I Belong Challenge and the third annual Successor Challenge, time is this year’s theme.
All Final Fantasy VIII fans — both experienced and new — are invited to participate in The Successor Challenge in August 2017. This challenge is open to any character(s) you wish to write about, draw or create fan mixes for.
The challenge’s requirements are as follows:
1. Entries have to be posted and completed in August 2017. Any submissions after 11:59 EST on August 31st will not be accepted. The submission page will be enabled on August 1st.
2. Submissions have to be made specifically for the challenge. No reused or re-purposed pieces will be allowed.
3. Any fanfiction pieces submitted cannot rely on any knowledge other than the game canon so they can be readily accessible to everyone. They must be standalone pieces - no sequels to existing works will be allowed.
4. As this year’s theme is broad in scope, the sole thematic requirement for fanfic submissions is that the word ‘time’ is included somewhere in the body of said submission. Other mediums are not subject to this requirement but it is encouraged to be depicted some manner.
5. There are no restrictions on fic length or genre. One-shots and poems are welcome. Multi-chaptered fics must be completed before the end of August or else they will be removed from listings.
6. All works posted on other sites must mention that the submission is for the Successor Challenge.
7. If you would like your works featured here, please use the submission page as changes to the site have made it impossible to pull up tagged posts with links.
8. All that is required for submissions is a link to the original posting. As submitted fanfiction posts are formatted to a standard convention, the details (synopsis, featured characters, genre, etc) will be pulled from the link provided. Other mediums will simply be reblogged if the work was posted on Tumblr or hosted with appropriate credited links otherwise. Feel free to include any additional links for collaborators, if applicable.
9. As the challenge is here to celebrate the game and the relationships within, please refrain from character bashing and keep OCs to perfunctory roles only. They should be either minor characters to support the main cast or serve as antagonists - no Main Character x OC pairings, please.
If you have any questions about the guidelines outlined above, please do not hesitate to send an ask! :)
(Note: all questions will be answered publicly to minimize repeat questions - barring any requests to be answered privately, of course. As the theme is different from previous years’, please do not refer to asks from 2015/2016.)