what is your opinion of how the fandom dislikes mon-el's and kara's relationship. do you ship lena and kara? because i ship both and i can see why the fandom hates mon-el and how the writers have made kara dependent on love when she should focus on herself. i know that's what Melissa wanted for season 2 and i feel so bad for her because the writers basically said: lo l n o p e
1. I appreciate your message but I think you contradicted yourself a little. You say you ship Lena and Kara but want Kara to be alone at the same time??? That’s a little paradoxical. I like Kara and Lena’s relationship, actually I love it but not as a romantic pairing.
2. I don’t think the fandom hates Mon-El. I think a part of the fandom who is incredibly vocal
and annoying hates Mon-El. Unfortunately negative people have a tendency to be more vocal about things they hate rather than the ones they love. That’s why haters always seem to have more of a voice than those who actually ship it. Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and all other social media websites are filled with Mon-El/Karamel love. For instance, Karamel scenes on Youtube are the most watched of all Supergirl scenes and have thousands of likes and comments. That doesn’t seem like a ship people hate.
3. I’m sick of the whole “Kara should be independent!!!1!!” argument. I know this is a wild concept for some of you but Kara can be independent AND in a relationship because one doesn’t invalidate the other. We should promote the idea that women can be strong and tough regardless of the path they choose in their love lives. So stop trying to reinforce the idea that women who love romance and are in love are somehow weaker or milder as if they are obligated to be alone in order to be perceived as “strong” and “independent”. Kara is extremely sensitive and a soft little bean who can be in love while simultaneously being a badass.
4. Mon-El and Kara’s relationship didn’t make Kara’s character development regress. On the contrary, she has evolved since she met him. Firstly, dealing with Mon-El really challenged her perspective about the aliens’ presence on Earth and led her to examine the way she really felt about that issue. She has always been such a strong advocate for alien amnesty but she realized that she too had some preconceived ideas and prejudices that she needed to work on. She was able to acknowledge and overcome that becoming more tolerant in the process and cementing her own views. It also allowed her to explore her frustration for not having been able to help her cousin like she was supposed to and come to terms with that. Moreover, she is now able to follow someone who’s going through the same struggles that she was faced with when she first arrived on Earth and it makes her feel less alone and like someone understands her. And finally, her arc this season has been about her learning to stand her ground as Kara Danvers and not just as Supergirl. Confessing her feelings for Mon-El and allowing herself to be vulnerable helped her do that. So yeah, I’m pretty sure she has grown thanks to her relationship with Mon-El.
5. Don’t feel bad for Melissa because she looks like an excited puppy every time someone asks her about Karamel. Trust me. She ships it.