Five Things You Did Not Know About Human Trafficking
- Modern slavery exists in the 21st century, even in the United States.
- Human trafficking does not require movement or the crossing of borders.
- Anyone can be a victim of human trafficking.
- The illegal profits made from the use of forced labor in the private economy worldwide amount to $150.2 billion per year, according to the International Labor Organization.
- The food you eat, the products you buy, and the consumer items you use on a daily basis may have been produced by victims of forced labor. Become a conscientious consumer by visiting Slavery Footprint to determine “How many slaves work for you?”
To learn more about the manifestations of modern slavery around the world, read the 2014 Trafficking in Persons Report, and learn what you can do in your own life by visiting 20 Ways You Can Help Fight Human Trafficking and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.