Could you tell me more about Davros in Big Finish?
Davros has his own story arc in Big Finish, which is completely gorgeous and gives him a lot of character depth.
His first arc, collected as “I, Davros”, introduces him at age 16 and explores his life on Skaro, his rise through the Kaled Military ranks, his first experiments as a scientist and the assault that destroys his body:
Later in his life, we see him in episodes set in between TV stories. During these stories, he comes to admire the Doctor’s mind and, particularly with the Sixth Doctor, forms a bond that almost borders on friendship. These episodes are all standalone. In release order, they are:
- Davros — exploring his psyche, his friendships throughout his life, and the long periods of agony.
- The Juggernauts — Davros vs. Melanie Bush!
- The Curse Of Davros — in which the Doctor becomes closer to Davros than he ever wanted.
- The Davros Mission — in which Davros, in captivity, still manages to outwit everyone else.
- Terror Firma — taking place much later in Davros’s life, this episode sees him encountering the Eighth Doctor, with a number of twists. (Although roughly standalone, this episode also ties into Charley Pollard’s arc — see my guide here.)
- Daleks Among Us — featuring Dr. Elizabeth Klein.
- The Lights Of Skaro — part of The New Adventures Of Bernice Summerfield volume 1, a standalone story box set in four episodes.
Additionally, Big Finish explores what might have happened if the Third Doctor had been a very different person. In this alternate timeline, the Doctor (in a David Warner-shaped body) starts his Earth exile in the 1990′s, and as a result never joins UNIT, never prevents the Master from manipulating Earth history, never regenerates into Tom Baker, and is never sent to Skaro to meddle in the Genesis of the Daleks. This reality is explored in a two-parter:
I utterly adore everything that Big Finish has done with Davros, and Terry Molloy does an incredible job portraying him. The entire arc slots in perfectly with established TV canon. If you liked Davros in The Magician’s Apprentice/The Witch’s Familiar, definitely check out some of these stories.