concept: It’s the weekend. it’s raining outside and every few minutes lightning flashes and thunder rolls. we share a blanket and some hot cups of tea. we sit, staring into each others eyes wondering what the other is thinking but knowing it is happiness.
The Heaven (Le Ciel) and Hell (l’Enfer) cabarets of
Montmartre, Paris. 1880s.
In the 1899 book Bohemian Paris of To-Day by William Chambers Morrow and Édouard Cucuel, the authors visit several of the City of Lights darker drinking destinations and describes l’Enfer thusly:
“Enter and be damned, the Evil One awaits you!“ growled a chorus of rough voices as we hesitated before the scene confronting us. Near us was suspended a caldron over a fire, and hopping within it were half a dozen devil musicians, male and female, playing a selection from "Faust” on stringed instruments, while red imps stood by, prodding with red-hot irons those who lagged in their performance.
Crevices in the walls of this room ran with streams of molten gold and silver, and here and there were caverns lit up by smouldering fires from which thick smoke issued, and vapors emitting the odors of a volcano. Flames would suddenly burst from clefts in the rocks, and thunder rolled through the caverns. Red imps were everywhere, darting about noiselessly, some carrying beverages for the thirsty lost souls, others stirring the fires or turning somersaults. Everything was in a high state of motion.
And right next door to the Cabaret de l'Enfer was Cabaret du Ciel (“The Cabaret of the Sky”), a divinely themed bar where Dante and Father Time greeted visitors and comely ladies dressed as angels pranced around teasing patrons. As Morrow recalled, the evening’s entertainment was presided over by St. Peter himself, who anointed the boozy crowd:
Flitting about the room were many more angels, all in white robes and with sandals on their feet, and all wearing gauzy wings swaying from their shoulder-blades and brass halos above their yellow wigs. These were the waiters, the garcons of heaven, ready to take orders for drinks. One of these, with the face of a heavy villain in a melodrama and a beard a week old, roared unmelodiously, “The greetings of heaven to thee, brothers! Eternal bliss and happiness are for thee. Mayst thou never swerve from its golden paths! Breathe thou its sacred purity and renovating exaltation. Prepare to meet thy great Creator and don’t forget the garcon!”
How They Act When You’re On Your Period (Avengers Preference)
Sorry I haven’t been around lately guys!! I’m hoping to start being more active again! Hope you guys like this and it begins to make up for my months of inactivity! I’ve had this request for a while so I hope y’all like it!
He buys you everything you could want, and more. The first time you ask him to go to the store for you he comes back with every single piece of chocolate he could find at Duane Reade and about ten different boxes of pads and tampons. He also has a new heating pad and your favorite take out. When he’s done putting everything away (he insisted on doing it himself while you tried out the new heating pad), he lays next to you on the couch, pulling you close and kissing the top of your head. You thought he couldn’t get any more perfect until he finally ques up your favorite romcom without you having to say a word.
Steve is sort of embarrassed at first. Back in his day this kind of thing wasn’t exactly talked about, especially not with scrawny ol’ him. So the first time you ask him to go out and grab you a few things he turns so red, you swear you can see his chest flush beneath his white cotton t-shirt. After he stutters for a few seconds and tears start welling in your eyes because you are just way too hormonal right now, Steve runs out of your apartment only to return a few minutes later with your favorite chocolate, your exact brand of tampons/pads, your favorite movie, and a cute teddy bear wearing a captain america outfit. He lays with you for the rest of the day, holding you close and rubbing your stomach as he spoons you on the couch, all forgiven.
Bucky takes it in stride. Much like Steve, he wasn’t exactly used to talking about this kind of thing, but as soon as you tell him you need him he’s there to do whatever you ask. He makes you breakfast in bed. He runs to the store to get you chocolate. He even goes to the store to get you tampons/pads (making sure he has your preferred brand and type written down). When he takes a while to come back he tells you he had to ask for help from a store employee. And whenever he gets back he spends the rest of the day holding you in his lap as he holds a heating pad to your stomach and whispers how much he loves you into your ear.
He stutters a little in the beginning when you first bring it up. He’s used to this type of thing, but only from a doctor standpoint. He goes and gets you what you need, but he also asks you questions that you would normally only hear from your doctor, making you blush as much as he had earlier. After he agrees never to ask you those questions again, you both go to lay in his room as he brushes his hand through your hair and reads you your favorite book. You spend the rest of the day curled up in one of Bruce’s big knit sweaters, drifting in and out of sleep, with a cup of your favorite tea sitting on the bedside.
He invites you up to his little nest. He fills it with your favorite blankets from the Tower (he even gets rid of the old ratty one you hate for the few days you’re up there), and has a stash of your favorite chocolate. He makes sure everyone knows not to bother you for the next few days as you just laze around and curl up together. Clint spends the whole time reading you your favorite books and telling you stories about his more memorable missions. He just wants to make sure you’re comfortable because he knows how tough you are and if this is causing you pain it must be rough.
Pietro spends the few days running around town and getting you whatever you want. Chocolate, tampons/pads, your favorite take out, flowers, he even runs out and gets you that new shirt you’ve been eyeing in the H&M window for about a week now. By the time he’s done running around all you want is for him to come and cuddle with you in bed. And that’s exactly what he does, after running around the tower to grab your favorite blankets, junk food, and turn on your favorite movie. Pietro wants you to feel like a princess because that’s exactly what you are to him.
He is so sympathetic. He buries you in a mountain of blankets and curls up with you, holding you close. He let’s you wear his huge sweaters that smell just like him, and he even lets you use his cape like a blanket. He offers to go to the store for you, but you know exactly how that would turn out so instead you ask if he can just make it storm outside, letting you two have the perfect lazy day inside. As the thunder rolls outside the window and the rain patters against the roof, Thor rubs soothing circles on your back as he tells you stories of the nine realms and his adventures back in Asgard.
He is kind of confused at first. He asks if this ailment is something he can fix with magic but you vehemently tell him no, not wanting to risk whatever consequences may arise. Eventually Loki realizes all he can do is be there for you so that’s exactly what he does. He lounges around with you all day, making you tea and reciting poetry to you while you lay in bed. He offers to go to the store for you and you instantly regret it when he comes back with adult diapers (”the package looks the same!”). You can’t stay mad though when he holds up a bag of your favorite junk food and let’s you wear his cape for the rest of the day as you two pig out and watch your favorite cheesy romcoms.
Sam stays in bed with you all day long. He holds you close and gives you all the covers. He even blows off Steve when Steve comes around asking for a training partner. He wants to make sure you know that he’s there for you in your time of need and nothing is going to make him leave your side (unless of course you need him to go to the store for you). He’ll even run you a hot bath in the evening with your favorite candle lit on the counter and your favorite spotify playlist humming quietly in the background. The other guys on the team may call him whipped, but he knows how to treat the love of his life right.
He likes to joke around but when you give him that look he totally understands. He builds you a giant pillow fort in the living room and wraps you up in your favorite blanket, handing you a warm tea and piling up all of your favorite junk foods in the corner of the fort before turning on your favorite princess movie. He’ll hold you until you doze off before he sneaks out to the store to grab you what you need. He’s back before you wake up and holds you close the rest of the day, cracking jokes every so often. Before you doze off again, he tells you how thankful he is that you’re going to be around when Cassie goes through all this, but you reassure him that he would be fine.
He spends the few days you’re on your period treating you like a queen. He has servants attending to your every need, and you never even have to change out out of your pj’s. And while he may have to attend to a few meetings, he makes sure that he’s able to be with you as much as possible. When the meetings are over the phone he lets you sit in his office with him, setting you in his lap and rubbing his hands up and down your back. When he’s not busy with meetings or training, T’Challa spends the day in bed with you, holding you close and keeping you warm. He also brings you cute little gifts like flowers he picked himself from the jungle, beautiful jewelry made of the stones found in the Wakandan mines, and he even brings you a kitten to keep you company when he has to be away.
Hope y’all liked it!
Imagine and Preference requests are OPEN! (Still no ships)
There’s been some worry going around that there hasn’t been a lot of development when it comes to Betty and Jughead’s relationship in the story. People kind of feel that, even though they know from spoilers that something will happen, they don’t know if it’ll be justified. I think it will, but not in the way most people are thinking. See, Betty and Jughead aren’t just meeting each other for the first time at the beginning of the series. They already know each other very well, and are friends in the way most people would be if they were best friends with the same person for a similar amount of time. Jughead and Betty are friends out of default because they both are very close, very old friends of Archie’s. Because of that, their relationship is a little different than other friendships probably. Likely Betty and Jughead met each other as early as grade school, and learned to share Archie and get along with each other ever since. They ended up probably hanging out with each other when they were younger, more out of obligation to Archie. I imagine they spent some time being not just friends, but enemies too. They’ve likely seen each other at their worst, and their best and come to truly appreciate each other. They’ve seen each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and learned to compliment each other.
And I think the writers are slowly building up that existing closeness with the audience. There’s a few things that really tip us off about this relationship.
1. Nicknames - Betty and Jughead both have nicknames for each other. Betty has nicknamed Jughead “Juggy,” and Jughead has nicknamed Betty “Bets.” Both people are very reserved, and this is a closeness that they are comfortable sharing. It’s also a pair of nicknames used only between them.
2. Being able to hang out together alone without being awkward - This is a huge one. Being of the opposite gender and in high school, the fact that they can hang out at the newspaper or anywhere else for that matter, together alone likely for extended periods of time, means that they are incredibly comfortable being around each other.
3. They talk off screen - When Jughead showed up to talk to Betty at the paper, it wasn’t because he wandered in. Betty spoke to him off screen prior to that to tell him to meet her. And he showed up, even though he didn’t really understand why she wanted to meet. The fact that the initial interaction happened off-screen suggests that they talk a lot more than the series lets on.
4. Sharing inside jokes and knowing what the other wants and feels without talking about it - There are small moments between these two where they have real chemistry. Like when Betty asks if he and Archie want to join them in Pops, and Jughead has his first real moment of bold charisma and charm in the series. Or when Jughead asks Betty what kind of film she wants for closing night and she names “Rebel Without a Cause” and he looks over at her with the most loving, “you do know me” expression there is. In that same vein, when she sees Archie come through the doors moments later with Grundy, and Betty dismisses herself, Jughead knows exactly what she’s about to do, finding out within seconds that she knows the same thing about Archie that he knows. He instantly throws as much effort into trying to stop her as he can, because he doesn’t want to see her get hurt.
5. Jughead cares deeply about Betty - I know this is a huge leap, but hear me out. If you watched the thunder rolling through Jughead’s emotions this past episode, the disbelief when she went on a date with someone else, the way he tried to comfort her about Polly, the way he blushed when he stood in front of Betty in a suit, and the way he held on to her and went after her the more the world tore her down, you might understand where I’m coming from. Jughead strikes me as someone who doesn’t love easily, and when he does, it begins very subtly before it completely knocks him on his butt. But his physical affection towards her stretches leaps and bounds because he isn’t comfortable with hugging or holding anyone else. Not even in a bro-like way. The fact that he’s extended that affection so much in a single episode also suggests something else… He was waiting for her to get over Archie. He stood out of the way and let her work it out and heal until he was sure she was okay. And then despite everything that was going on in his own life, he stood in front of the storm and let her use him as an anchor when she needed him.
6. Betty trusts Jughead more than anyone else - Out of all the close friends that Betty has, the one person she chooses to spill her darkest, most gut-retching secrets about her sister to is Jughead. Her trust for him runs so deep that when he makes a suggestion that a member of her own family could be involved in Jason’s murder, she pins it up as a viable possibility without argument. She trusts him because he doesn’t throw his words around lightly. She trusts his instincts and his reasoning, and he respects her for her rationality and her intelligence… something they both share.
I’ve written a lot (I’m not sure all of it makes sense either), so I’ll just say… we’re getting there, and I think its going to be amazing. If anyone is interested, I did dive a little more into Jughead’s personality > here <. :)