That moment when you’ve been searching to buy an army camouflage jacket and after a month of searching, God blesses you with one.
A black business was selling one for $70 because it was going to be customized. Ebay and Etsy were selling some between $25 - $40. But after going to four different thrift stores, I found mine for $5!
Before I went to fourth and final thrift store, I literally prayed before entering. Then I looked to my left and my beautiful jacket was right there, like it was waiting for my arrival. To top it all off, it literally fits like a glove.
1. Go out to a public, but not overly crowded place and take a notebook with you. Remain there for 10 minutes writing down random overheard snippets of conversation. Afterwards, choose an interesting piece of dialogue and use it as your first line/stanza.
2. Visit a thrift store or market and find 5 items that interest you. For each item imagine the kind of person that would own it and create a character based on it. Write about that character.
3. Take a bunch of small pieces of paper, and on each one write a word that you like. Then, draw 3 words at random and try to incorporate them into a short piece. This can be anything as long as all 3 words are included. You could also try using a random word generator.
4. Visit a library, and pick out 5 book titles that interest you. These can be fiction, non-fiction or both. Write a scene inspired by one of these titles.
5. Pick up a book you haven't read. Look at the title and front cover. Write the story based on these alone. (Literally reading a book by it's cover)
6. Pick out a random book from your personal book shelf. Open it onto a random page and pick out a sentence from this page. This is your opening line / stanza.
7. Find a random page in any book, or any piece of paper with writing on it. Highlight every single noun on the page. Pick out a few of these nouns. Write 3 sentences personifying each noun. The first sentence should start with "I am the _____ ...."
8. On a bus or in the back seat of a car, look out of the window at road signs. Write down words or entire phrases from road signs, and use one of them as the title for a short piece.
9. Go to a clothing store and pick out a t-shirt. If the t-shirt has a slogan on it, use it as your first line/stanza. If the t-shirt has images on it then base your piece on the image.
10. Turn on the television or watch a long YouTube video. Write down pieces of dialogue that are memorable to you. Choose one and write a scene around it.
The soles of my old hiking boots were falling off. I tried to glue them back on a couple times, but the success was short lived. Eventually, I had to toss them aside. Not even a week later, I went into a thrift store and found these in a dollar bin! They are identical! And in much better condition, dirty after this hike, but still very solid! I just can’t tell ya how happy I am that I found these. I love these shoe, I wore my old ones for years, and originally got them from a yardsale. They’re vintage boots. When my old ones tore up, I started scanning ebay and etsy for another pair, I looked for months, and found only sizes too large. But these came into my life at the perfect time. Nearly the exact time that my old ones finally bit the dust. Things work out wonderful sometimes. I literally teared up when I found them.
I’m just so thankful.