bilbo's acorn aka bilbo's heart
There have been already some post about the parallel about bilbo’s acorn as his heart. I would like just to add this few things.
what bilbo said - what it could have meant
- i will plant it in my garden → i will recognize this sentiment
- one day it will grow → my heart will grow to like you even more
- and every time i look at it i will remember → i will look at you
- i will remember the good and the bad → and i will remember it all
- and how lucky i am i have made it home → how lucky i am to have found you
what thorin said - what it could have meant
- it is a poor price to take back to the shire - i am not worthy of such importance
and lots of eye contact and smiles and bilbo’s last words before they were interupted were “THORIN”.
The intonation he used to say Thorin’s name was as if he was going to say something BIG. It sounded a almost desperate.