Here are three illustrations I did for an investigation on Luiz «Bang» Carlos Machado published the french magazine XXI with Quintin Leeds and Sarah Deux as art directors.
“Investigation on the one who wanted to be the King of the Amazon… At once lord and patriarch, Luiz Carlos Machado, also known as Luiz Bang, built with his gun trigger an empire in the Brazilian forest.”
- Alex is from District 12 and volunteers. He
doesn’t do it for anyone else. He just wants to be a victor.
- Thomas is a career from District 1. He didn’t
want to be chosen but his parents pressured him into volunteering.
- Alex’s weapon of choice is a machete. He goes
straight for it in the cornucopia. Thomas’s weapon of choice is to be protected
by his career friends.
- Thomas hates this. The bio-environment of their
game is a forest. Thomas is used to AC and while he was trained for this he
never thought he’d actually go.
- Alex is scrappy and probably gets most kills out
of everyone in the games.
- Thomas gets split from his group and gets
stabbed in the leg. Meanwhile Alex has pissed off all the careers and knows he
can’t take all of them at once. So when he stumbles across a bleeding Thomas,
he strikes a deal. He’ll fix and protect Thomas while he’s healing if Thomas can
keep his fucking ‘friends’ away from him.
- People across the districts quickly get invested
in their bickering relationship. Every time Alex tells Thomas to get his own
damn medicine they both gain another sponsor.
- Thomas got attached to Alex so when his leg no
longer hurts, he doesn’t mention it. Alex pretends not to notice.
-It comes down to Thomas and Alex in the end. All
the others kill each other off while they mainly hid out in some caves. The
Capital let them be because the viewers ate up their interactions.
- The entire population is on edge as Alex and
Thomas stood face to face and realized that one of them had to die. Thomas
offered to kill himself off and Alex told him that that wasn’t going to happen.
Thomas couldn’t believe Alex was being so naïve. There wasn’t a chance both of
them survived. Alex couldn’t accept a reality in which Thomas dies.
- Then Alex pulls that double suicide stunt and
the Capital lets them both survive.
- Once they leave they are forced to doing the
tours together even though they’re from different districts.
- They’re in love but both dumb. Thomas acknowledges
he is in love with Alex but thinks Alex is only faking being in love with
Thomas for the Capital. Alex believes the same vice versa.