Until Dawn Directors Commentary Recap for those who missed it
There was a “directors commentary” stream with a couple of the developers of Until dawn today (Tom Heaton and Jez Harris.) If you missed it, you can watch the vod here, but if you can’t be arsed to do that here’s the run down:
( disclaimer: these are paraphrased, not direct quotes. )
- all people in the user tests killed the deer in the matt and em scene, so that’s why they added the bird scene in the first chapter that tells you ‘sometimes doing nothing is the best option.”
- at one time, the final scene involved a big tractor chase with a wendigo riding on the bonnet/hood
- they don’t know if the matt and em preorder dlc will ever be released. That’s a question for sony.
- Dr. Hill was definitely a real person, but the Dr. Hill we see in game is all in Josh’s imagination
- Until dawn will always be a playstation exclusive
- The wolverine scare in chapter 2 was very nearly cut out. it took a long time to get right.
- why arent the characters british? because its set in canada, and because that sort of horror movie has american characters. had to be true to the genre. it would be a completely different game if they were british characters
- The prologue was initially intended to be a nonplayable cutscene
- They ship chris and ashley, they think climbing class is cool, and tom’s favorite ship is sam/hannah
- Tom’s favorite character is Emily (fave quote is “understand the palm of my hand bitch”), Jez’s favorite character is ashley, (fav quote “go suck an egg”)
- The piece of wood that hits Chris in the basement WAS in fact josh’s handiwork. Josh didn’t like Ashley being dismissive about the the prank
- There were aparently some interesting stories about peter stormare having to rush through a lot of lines, and he was only wearing a vest? (I really want to know what that means)
- no plans for dlc
- wendigos were all hand animated, no mocap
- the “previously on unil dawn* segments were added when testing showed players were confused about the story, but they also thought it fit well with the genre
- you can see the actual map of the game (maya file) in the psychos workshop as sam
- part of the mythology of wendigos is that they keep growing and their limbs elongate. hannah has been around for a year and was well fed so shes quite large
- they called wendigo!hannah “Handigo” in production
- Handigo threw the cell phone through the cabin window
- Handigo was the wendigo that attacked Matt in the mines
- The stranger is named Jack, and he was the one who set the bear trap
- At one time Ashley was going to be a drug addict but they got rid of that very early in development
- Ashley asking Chris to shoot her and then later killing Chris for doing it was a very intentional decision by the developers, not an oversight. The reasoning was that she had been through a lot of shit that night and she’s unpredictable. Ashley intentionally kills chris too, it wasn’t just shock. (full transcript of this conversation can be found here)
Bolded the ones I thought were coolest, or the ones I’ve seen a lot of people debating about.
There’s more in the stream if you feel like watching it, these were just the big confirmations, reveals and behind the scenes info. Jez was dressed as towel!Sam the whole time, which is reason enough to go watch it.