[RECAP] Rick & Morty Season 3 Trailer: Superhero Team Episode
In the Rick and Morty Season 3 trailer [Click to watch it here!] we’re shown two short clips from an upcoming episode in which it seems that Rick and Morty have become part of a superhero team!
EVIDENCE: Clip #1
The first clip opens up with a shot of Morty with a group of five other individuals, one of which — like Morty — has a visible “V” emblem on their clothing.
- The five individuals are references to comic characters
- ex.: the red-haired man looks similar to Tony Stark of the “Avengers”
- The ‘V’ emblem worn by Morty and the red-haired man
- explanation: V for Vindicator (explained below), is also a similar design to “Avengers” symbol
(There’s a second shot where the group are facing a monstrous and threatening creature of some sort, and in it we can again see the “V” symbol on the back of Morty’s vest, as well as Rick, too!)
EVIDENCE: Clip #2
This scene starts out with Morty pointing to a flashing purple jewel-like light, and excitedly telling Rick that they’ve been “called to assemble” by “the Vindicators”.
- The flashing jewel is a visible indicator of help needed
- explanation: like the ‘bat signal’ in the Batman franchise
- The phrase “called to assemble” is used
- explanation: often used in superhero team comics/media
- The word “vindicator” is synonymous with “avenger”
- explanation: for those who don’t know, the Avengers is a very popular superhero team comic (and now movie) series
(Additionally Rick’s distaste for “a literal call to adventure” — and probably the whole ‘superhero team’ thing generally — and telling Morty to “let it go to voicemail” is good in-character evidence as well!)
CONCLUSION: With all of the above evidence its pretty obvious that this S3 episode is not just a reference to/remaking of the superhero team trope, but in true Rick & Morty fashion, most likely a satire, too!