Im having a bad day
Ah anon I’m so sorry to hear that! Bad days suck )=
I’m probably too late with replying to let you see my answer but I’m going to try and give some tips anyway. Maybe you will see them or someone else can use it
- Try to put whatever it is that makes you feel bad into words. Write it down, talk about it to a friend (I am a friend), tell someone on tumblr, hell, you could even just talk to your pet about it. Talking can make you realise that you might not need to stress so much, it puts things in perspective.
- Cry. Personally, I am not much of a crier (I’m dead inside) but sometimes I wish I was because nothing reliefs you more than a good solid cry. If fact, tears release stress hormones so crying will actually lower your stress levels and calm you down. Do try to keep it within a resonable amount though, hyperventilating isn’t going to get you anywhere
- Do something fun. By which I mean eat something nice, watch a fun movie (FUN movie, not sad), listen to cheery music, look up “lesbian weddings” on google pictures (that’s what I do when I’m sad)
- Sleep. Either go to be early or take a 20 minute cat nap. Just lying in your bed resting counts too. Sleeping is a good way to restart the day
- Drink tea. Curl up with a nice book/film/fanfic/pet and wrap your hands around that nice warm mug of savety. Don’t drink coffee, that will only keep you up at night, which interferres with point 4
- Hug a friend. Okay, I’ll admit this is super shit advice if you don’t have friends to hug (though in that case I can always give you a firtual hug. I love hugs), but if you do it really helps. You don’t have to explain everything to them, just tell them that you need a hug. Most people will understand, we all feel like we need a hug sometimes
- Lie down on the floor and relax. Note that I did not say lie down on the floor and have an existential crisis, I said relax. The hardness of the floor can help ground you and put things in perspective. When you lie down you could try to empty your mind,or try point 8
- List everything that you did well that week. Things you’ve acomplished. If you feel like this more often you could try keeping a list of things you’re proud of/that made you feel good so you can save that positivity for later. Your brain is wired to focus on the bad, but it shouldn’t be because you did so much good stuff! You should be proud of yourself.
- Things will get better. Just say that to yourself. Keep in mind that you might feel bad today but you’ll feel good again tomorrow.
- Get away from toxic people. If there are certain people who keep saying things you don’t like (Using the word gay as an insult for example) then don’t go near them, especially not on a bad day. You don’t need people like that, you deserve better
- Go for a walk. Get some fresh air, let the sun warm your skin. And in case of bad weather/living in a polluted city, you could watch a nature documentary. Might sound stupid, but the voice of david attenborough can cheer up almost everyone. Plus animals are cute
I hope this helped! And if you have bad days often, or if you think you might have a depression, seek help! If you have a broken leg you go see the doctor, so if you have a problem with your mental health you should do the same.
In fact about half of the world’s depression are caused by a hormonal disbalance, which means it doesn’t have to be triggered by a bad event. Don’t think that just because your life is pretty okay you can’t be depressed. Leading a healthy life sometimes doesn’t stop you from getting cancer either. Sometimes you just have bad genes. And there is no shame in asking for help, only courage!
Stay save my friends! And feel free to send me a message or ask when you feel down. I’m not an expert on this area (pretty neurotypical) but I can always try and help, and I can always listen if you need someone to talk to
And if you want to read a nice fictional book about teenage depression (that originated in stress and bad luck, aka the bad genes I talked about) the you might like It’s kind of a funny story. Brilliantly written.